How To Avoid Swelling Post HT and the Klingon Look

Guys back in 2007 I had a minor 750 graft strip hair transplant with a discredited clinic in London. The swelling was very bad for a week post op. Thankfully on that occasion i had only to drive 1 hour home and than could sit at home for a week

This time i had a 2450 graft operation abroad after a 9 hour flight and my doctor gave me prednisolone tablets 5mg, which totally killed the swelling in its tracks.I had insisted beforehand in my communication that I must have something for anti swelling, and the doctor relented. So ultimately post op i could sit in the very very busy airport and sit on the aeroplane for 9 hours and not have the klingon bloated forehead look.

Always ask your doctor for safe anti swelling tablets. Cos many unscrupolous uncaring doctors do not give a shit once you have paid and are out of the door.

I have seen what a caring and sharing community this forum is so i just want to give my two cents worth to help others too.

Edited by iwokeuptoabaldpatch

It sounds like the Prednisone may have really worked for you. How long after the procedure did you fly home? Swelling usually is delayed 2-4 days. The truth is some patients still get some swelling even with taking the medication. While others do not take any meds and do not get swelling at all.

It sounds like the Prednisone may have really worked for you. How long after the procedure did you fly home? Swelling usually is delayed 2-4 days. The truth is some patients still get some swelling even with taking the medication. While others do not take any meds and do not get swelling at all.

Whats the usual recommended dose of steroids after the surgery? Dr Charles, it seems to me like maybe even a couple of post day steroid injections may help with swelling and really help with recovery?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi Gentleman.

Yep the Prednisone worked very well for me. My FUE procedure was spread out over 3 days. On the 3rd day i had developed some swelling on the forehead, and the klingon look was starting, as I was about to leave the clinic for the last time i reminded the doctor to give me some anti swelling pills like he said he would when i first communicated. He gave me a box of prednisolone and advised me to take 2 of these 5mg tablets a day. He gave me the pills on the Thursday afternoon and my flight back home wasnt till Monday morning. However by taking these tablets the swelling was totally stopped in its tracks. It receded from the first pill i took and because it hadnt developed into anything major in teh first place it didnt develop at all after that. By Monday morning I had no swelling whatsoever totaly untraceable.

Like you say I guess i was very fortunate, not being a doctor myself, I can understand you have had some patients who do fine without any meds and others who sadly still get swelling even with meds.

Edited by iwokeuptoabaldpatch