My instructions for cleaning baby shampoo in hand pat on head

Rinse by pouring cool water with cup over the head

Start next day after surgery looks like standard stuff

Question is after 5 days

However my instructions was I can fully shampoo with finger pads after 5 days

with low water pressure from shower

I see in this forum Dr's seem to range from 5 days to 9 days for this

Wonder why they all don' t agree on a standard time frame why the variances

Can anyone actually state why considering most of the top surgeons use the same hair restoration techniques, that the aftercare can be so diverse?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

The grafts don't settle in until 10 days post op. so by touching them, rubbing them or patting them can dislodge the grafts and cause poor yield. I myself just got an HT from Dr. Rahal and wont be touching my grafts until 14 days post op as instructed.

I have read Bernsteins and Rassman report stating day 10, however they still differ from day 3 to day 14.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

My instructions from SMG were to start gently using your fingers to shampoo after 7 days, which I followed and it was no problem at all. Rubbing or patting them gently at that point is not going to dislodge your grafts or cause poor yield.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I have read it takes at least 10 days for the hairs to take root and putting any type of ointment on them and then rubbing can dislodge them even tho that didn't happen to you doesn't mean it can't happen to someone else.

When you google it this site comes up and bill answers the question and here is his answer.

Question:

So I finally went through with getting a hair transplant. It is now my second week and my scalp is very itchy. I see a lot of dandruff on my grafts and the itch is almost unbearable. Is this normal? I wash daily, but very carefully.

Answer:

Congratulations on your recent hair restoration procedure. You can rest easy as scalp dryness, dandruff, and itchiness is very normal the first couple weeks. You can try using Aloe Vera which may help temporarily soothe the scalp. Other anti-itch ointments and solutions also exist such as Benadryl that you could consider if the itch is too intense. It would be wise however, to wait until at least 10 days to start massaging anything topically into the scalp to give your transplanted hair the proper time they need to take root.

But then again every clinic does have their own way which is odd maybe a real doctor could answer this for us?? How long does it take for the hairs to take proper root??

Edited by Bowser1982

Bowser1982, waiting 10 days vs. 7 is certainly reasonable and different surgeons have different opinions. I was not saying that you are wrong, but their are some prominent HT surgeons who disagree that you need to wait 10 days to very gently rub the grafts when washing, which also helps with the scabs. Some say they are completely set in 3 days (although I have never heard anyone say to rub them at that point). At any rate, some of the top clinics vary on this and I followed the instructions that Dr. Shapiro gave me. He is certainly knowledgeable on the topic as are other surgeons who have varying opinions on post op care. Personally, I would recommend following the instructions that the doctor you choose gives you.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1