Wider strips

My hair transplant doctor has told me that it would be better to remove a wider strip rather than longer because the density at the sides is not so good. The density is good on the back of the head. How have patients found this impacts on the visibility of the scar and tension etc?

I trust the doctor because he is the best in Europe, according to this forum. I am just a bit worried about giving my final commitment to surgery.

My hair transplant doctor has told me that it would be better to remove a wider strip rather than longer because the density at the sides is not so good. The density is good on the back of the head. How have patients found this impacts on the visibility of the scar and tension etc?

I trust the doctor because he is the best in Europe, according to this forum. I am just a bit worried about giving my final commitment to surgery.

Who is the Doctor? If he's recommended by this forum you shouldn't hesitate to give his name. I would be worried about shock loss with a wide strip, however, it can also happen with a narrow one.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

If he is the best in Europe then you must be talking about either Feriduni or Devroye. Both are excellent!

While the density at the sides can be lower on some people than the back, I would still rather have a longer, thinner strip. The less tension on the closure the less chance of a wide scar.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Let’s say you plan 2HTs and start with scalp flexity 100% on sides and back and you go for a short strip. Will that influence how many grafts you can get on the second one? I would assume the doctors don’t want to make the strip too wide on the sides in the second one.

If you take a short strip let’s say your flexity is back to 70% in the back and 100% on the sides. Then, as the doctor doesn’t want to make the strip wider on the side, number of gfrafts available due to scalp flexity would be controlled by the 70% flexity in the back, thus you get fewer grafts. Is this correct to assume?

Alternatively, with a long and narrower strip maybe you get the overall flexity back to 85 both on sides and back and can therefore make a larger strip in the second HT. Would that be correct?

Bets wishes to you on your procedure. Over time, our scalps regain some level of laxity and as you may have heard, there are scalp exercises that can be done pre-op to loosen up the donor area specifically in the occipital zone.

If you do not regain enough laxity for future procedures, there is always FUE.

Have a safe trip and take care!;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

are we allowed to choose whether to get a wider vs longer scar? or do docs only perform one method?

I'm thinking that if I progress in my hairloss and am forced to shave my head, from what i've seen, a wider scar (kinda like Jamie Foxx's small scar) looks less noticeable than a longer smiley face scar on a bic'd head.

Edited by cool2dunk

When strips exceed 2 cm in width, there is far more potential of it healing too wide for most people. That is why each patient must have adequate laxity to support any strip that is excised. Otherwise FUE is the best approach to detract away from the smilie face showing with a buzzed haircut.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY