Maintenance After Hair Transplant?

hairman1

Hi,

I am new to the Forum. I was looking into options for a receding hair line and thinning hair.

I have been doing early research on HTs, and I came across the following on a celbrity gossip site. It deals with monthly maintenance for years after you have had a hair transplant performed. How accurate is the following?:

"Healing takes a few months and it might take up to two years before final results will be visible. The amount of coverage needed depends on color and texture of the hair. Then after the procedure, maintenance takes place. About 3-4 times a month, the patient comes back to get hair washed or repositioned depending upon if hair started to grow under the skin or not. This costs at least $250 a month. The scalp grows some hair and the skin itself sheds as part of the normal body's replacement function. And as mentioned before, maintenance after a successful procedure costs about $3,000 a year."

My concern is the part about continuous maintenance 3-4 times a month at $3000 a year after a HT is performed. Is this accurate? I thought that after a HT was performed it was simply a matter of a 1-2 month healing process, followed by just wait and see if the hair grows for the next year of so. It was not my understanding that it entailed permanent yearly maintenance at $3,000 a year. Thanks.

Hairman, to be blunt, just about everything that was stated is a load of crap. Where in the world did that come from? Why would anyone get a transplant if you had to go back to the Dr. 3-4 times a month??

After the transplanted hair grows in (which usually starts between 3-6 months and is fully mature within 12-18 months), the only maintenance you have is getting your hair cut...and you can go anywhere for that. It is YOUR hair. That is why people get transplants. Most people go back to the Dr. once...maybe twice...just to check the progress and make sure everything is on track. Now, you may need to go back and have a subsequent procedure if you continue to lose hair. Also, with extensive thinning, some people have to have their restoration split up into two surgeries, but that is pretty much it.

I suggest you peruse this website. It will answer pretty much any and all questions you may have.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

S5H

Thanks for your candor. The quote was from a website discussing hollywood celebs who have had hair transplants. It smelled like BS. I have been reading and researching the Hair Restoration Forum for a little while know, and it is very informative. The quote contradicted everything I have read on this website, so I just wanted to verify there wasnt something I was missing. Thanks again.

Hairman1

We do not suggest any pricey aftercare. Once your sutures are out, go live your life and await your new hair's growth. Rogaine and Propecia are fine to restart, but we don't suggest anyone of our patients purchase expensive lotions and potions that have not been evaluated by controlled scientific study with results published in Peer-reviewed american medical literature.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by hairman1:

Hi,

I am new to the Forum. I was looking into options for a receding hair line and thinning hair.

I have been doing early research on HTs, and I came across the following on a celbrity gossip site. It deals with monthly maintenance for years after you have had a hair transplant performed. How accurate is the following?:

"Healing takes a few months and it might take up to two years before final results will be visible. The amount of coverage needed depends on color and texture of the hair. Then after the procedure, maintenance takes place. About 3-4 times a month, the patient comes back to get hair washed or repositioned depending upon if hair started to grow under the skin or not. This costs at least $250 a month. The scalp grows some hair and the skin itself sheds as part of the normal body's replacement function. And as mentioned before, maintenance after a successful procedure costs about $3,000 a year."

My concern is the part about continuous maintenance 3-4 times a month at $3000 a year after a HT is performed. Is this accurate? I thought that after a HT was performed it was simply a matter of a 1-2 month healing process, followed by just wait and see if the hair grows for the next year of so. It was not my understanding that it entailed permanent yearly maintenance at $3,000 a year. Thanks.

I highly doubt this post will remain on here very long, I am guessing that this site is run by people in the BUSINESS of hair replacement (check out the credentials of those who already replied)

Un fortunately my friend what you heard on that celeb site is absolutely true, although the prices are a bit higher than what i expirenced (about 150 a month) the hair replacement industry (a billion dollar industry by the way) has done a very good job of concealing the fact that it is a LIFE TIME on going financial and time consuming commitment YOU DO have to go in monthly and have treatments etc.

as described above. I did not find this out untill AFTER the ten thousand dollar proceedure (I guess they figure they have you after that) I was shocked, I thought I had done my homework but this is one of the industries best kept secrets....and here is the kicker, its not a sales gimic you actually NEED these on going treatments and if you run out of time and money and stop going as I did.......it all falls out, it takes about 6 to 8 months but every strand of hair that was transplanted falls out, and this was after doing everything perfectly and staying on the maintenence program for three years and for those three years it looked great by the end of year four i'm back to square one. This hair restoration was through the hair club for men and yes it is the EXACT one you are thinking about getting.

as I said being as this site is run by hair transplant docs and not the customers, this post wont stay long but I hope it helps some people go into this with their eyes open before it is removed.

nhens002,

If you actually took the time and researched our community, you'd see that this site is run by and for hair loss sufferers. The publishers of this community (including me) are all hair transplant patients.

How this site is funded is also no secret. That's why it says on our physician standards page:

"Those surgeons who are carefully reviewed and chosen for recommendation on this site contribute a monthly fee to co-sponsor this online community and display their before and after photos, videos and contact information."

All that aside, your statements are also false.

While I've had multiple hair transplants, it was only to add density into thinning areas. None of my transplanted hair has fallen out nor should it. My transplanted hair requires no special maintenance other than washing and grooming it like my native hair.

If you've personally had problems with transplanted hair falling out, then there was a problem with your procedure.

If you stick around long enough and want genuine help, I'm sure the members of this community can help you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by nhens002:

YOU DO have to go in monthly and have treatments etc.....and here is the kicker, its not a sales gimic you actually NEED these on going treatments and if you run out of time and money and stop going as I did.......it all falls out...

nhens002, I don't know whether you're a troll (i.e., a forum poster who posts lies to try and stir up shit) or if you're referring to a hair piece instead of a hair transplant.

hairmman1 - rest assured, there is no need for any ongoing maintenance.

Nhens002,

This original post was in November 2008. I had forgot I had written it. I had to chuckle when I reread it b/c I was just beginning my research into hair tranplantation at that time -safe to say I was a little paranoid. I subsequently had a hair transplant with a coalition doc recommended on this site in April 2009 of 1700 grafts - all is well one year later. I have picks posted under hairman1 that show the difference after my hair tranplant. Just as Bill stated, none of my transplanted hair has fallen out, and no maintenance is required.

And as already addressed by Megatron, I'm not sure whether you had a hair tranplant or a bad hair piece with The Hair Club for Men. I personally would advise not to get a hair transplant with them. But I can attest there is no conspiracy on this forum. The purpose of this forum is too help others make an informed decision about hair transplantation, in addition to discussing how to properly choose a hair transplant doctor if that route is taken.

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience, but my experience with this forum and with the Coalition doctor who was recommended has been all positive.