Propecia and Rogaine effectiveness over time question

MyNameIsRich

If you start taking the medication from a young age (20~ till death) and have positive results, are the drugs likely to wear off over time, and by the age of 30 you will receive no benefit from taking the medications?

I've read many times that people in their 20s are the most responsive with these drugs and have the best outcomes, but are they unlucky in comparison to somebody who starts balding in their 30s and has less successful but still evident results from the same drugs?

I'm just trying to question how likely it is that medications will be completely pointless by the time I reach my 30s, if I'm soon 22 and only beginning to take both meds.

I think you are getting confused..if you start in the 20s thats great..the younger, the better. If you start in your 30s the result may not be quite as great! If you start in your 20s, yes, the meds may wear off over time, but really what choice do you have? Trust me, if your 22, you will regret not getting on meds if you wait till 30s..I wish I could go back to 22 and start on meds!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I think you are getting confused..if you start in the 20s thats great..the younger, the better. If you start in your 30s the result may not be quite as great! If you start in your 20s, yes, the meds may wear off over time, but really what choice do you have? Trust me, if your 22, you will regret not getting on meds if you wait till 30s..I wish I could go back to 22 and start on meds!

I don't think you fully understand what I mean, though - What I am saying is that a person in there 20s may have great response to the drugs, but in say 10 years time (when they reach 30) they no longer seem to respond to the drug, and they no longer have the option of taking that drug, EVER AGAIN in their life time and have to put up with a hair transplant and pretty much nothing else, if what people say about the drugs becoming completely ineffective eventually.

A person in their 30s may not respond as well as a 20-so year old, BUT, they still get the same sort of lifespan out of the drugs, right? so if they get the same 10 year or so lifespan of the drugs, they get to 40, before the drugs are supposedly ineffective.

Do you see my point now? am I correct with this assumption? Can anybody share some logic on this matter?

Thanks

Just because you may lose hair while on propecia doesn't mean it's not working. The lifespan of the drug varies from person to person and it will rarely just stop working after X amount of years. It might lose its full effectiveness but that doesn't mean it's not saving some other hairs though. Some have been on it for 15 years and still have most of their hair. If you one of the lucky ones, great! If not I would try upping the dosage when you start to notice more advanced hair loss.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group