Curious About the Evolution and Current State of FUE? Read this Exclusive Article.

Blake Bloxham

Whether its the less invasive nature, lack of a linear "strip" (follicular unit transplantation) scar, or potentially reduced healing time, follicular unit extraction (FUE) continues increasing in popularity with both hair loss sufferers and hair restoration physicians.

However, the history and evolution behind the procedure creates an environment where a variety of talented hair transplant surgeons offer slightly different variations of the procedure via numerous techniques and extraction tools. This phenomenon now allows hair loss patients to choose from a plethora of options when considering follicular unit extraction.

Curious about the evolution of the procedure, different extraction tools and techniques currently used in practice, FUE options, the overall state of follicular unit extraction in 2011, and what this means to you as a potential hair transplant patient?

If so, read this exclusive article: The Evolution of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), Physicians, and its Tools.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the post and info. I am really hoping for future patients that the machines continue to improve. I really don't hold much hope for hand punching although some continue to do it.

Oh, I think a paragraph is missing..

Background

(missing part goes here):)

In 2002, veteran hair restoration surgeons Dr. William Rassman and Dr. Robert Bernstein published an article....

like maybe...

In 1989, an Australian doctor started a bold new procedure, extracting individual follicles from the donor area of the scalp, one at a time. He was immediately ostracized by the mainstream HT industry types in the IRHRS, who wanted to promote strip, and his procedure was thoroughly trashed by a succession of doctors in the states and elsewhere for ten years. Even when it was belatedly gaining acceptance, it was called 'hype'. This doctor decided, long before had decided to keep his tools secret from these other guys, which didn't help the spread of knowledge and even now, we can't talk about his tools, because we don't really know about them.

And then start the 'In 2002...'. Please!! FUE has a much longer history than 2002!

But I really like the overall effort to promote discussion about the techniques.