Questions to anyone who has had FUE !

Hi,

Just have a few questions for any members that have had FUE.

Its to get an overall view.

1. Did you feel/think your hair had been thinned out at the back in the donor area?

2. What's the lowest grade haircut you think you could get away with without the scarring showing if there is any?

3. Do the transplanted hairs match in density to the native hair surrounding it?

Thanks for your time :)

coworker of mine had it and he buzzes his entire head to a 2 guard (or sometimes even 1) no problem. But he only got 2000+ grafts.

I've researched other forums with more fue users and the consensus people buzz to a 2 guard, some more some less.

There are a few users here who recently got fue, and they're forced to shave to a 0 guard for the surgery. As the hair grows in, you can see how it looks at different lengths.

Edited by cool2dunk

thanks cool2dunk,

thats good to know, just asking all this because thinking of getting FUE but would like to have the option of shaving down without being noticed.

would you say (if done by a god doc) that if you have 1000 or less that you most likely not going to show any signs of surgery?

Hi Richfrog,

I agree with hairthere and js. In my case I've had over 4,000 fue and can buz to any length I want without seeing evidence of scarring. I usually do a #2 guard on the back and sides although longer lately. As for any resulting thinning in the donor area, I'm sure there must be some with the number of grafts I had but personally I don't think it's very noticeable. I think the transplanted hair matches the native hair well too.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Thanks for your input Guys,

Its good to know that you can still have a shaved look after the op.

Could your docs match the density of the hair surrounding the place the new hairs were transplanted?

What i mean is does it match in density?

Edited by RichFrog

i had a crap fue and a very good one,the crap one left bad scarring and i need a 4guard to cover that scarring,the good fue i can buzz that area to 1 guard and without a guard no visable scarring,lesson of the story do not get fue unless a .9mm or under is used.

when fue is done correctly it will not leave any thin areas.

when it comes to matching the transplanted hair with native hair its a simple case of demand v supply,if you have great donor you can get a higher density transplant,i for one have to leave my transplanted hair at my temples grow a bit longer than the native forlock so to make the same amount of light getting thru,i have poor donor density with previous scarring.

Cheers for all your input guys much appriciated :cool:

I ask because at the consultation (with a good doc) he said i have a 90fu cm2 at the back and

80 fu on the sides.

i would say (at a guess) my hairline at the front is 65-70fu cm2.

Would a good fue surgeon be able to implant at this density to match my existing

hair?

It just the temples and part of the hair line that need doing.

50 grafts cm sq is loads!!native density is around 80 i doubt any doc would pack that amount of grafts for anyone unless they are pretty old with minimum loss great donor and even at that their is no need for 80

Do you think 50cm2 is enough i mean would this give enough thickness?

Ive seen a few docs plant at 65-70 mark.

Also i guess we should mention hair thickness, I have fine hair as confirmed in the consultation this is where i got my estimation from.

I know most docs don't but could it be physically done 70cm2 i mean?

Do you think 50cm2 is enough i mean would this give enough thickness?...I have fine hair ...

If you are going for a shorter look, and your hair is fine and straight make sure they plant the hair flat. Think venetian blinds, open them and the light comes right through, close them and they lie flat on one another.

Usually, for the illusion of density, and perhaps for other technical reasons, the docs plant more vertical. When the hair gets past an inch long that works well to build density, but cut it short and it's a disaster - it will look like a banana plantation after a fire swept through, with plenty of soil on show!

So you have to tell them to plant flat. And just because they say, yeah, yeah doesn't mean they will do it, because they often follow routines and well or trodden paths to reduce risk. Sometimes, even the docs think we don't know what's good for us and plant vertically anyway. But that said, if you get the hair planted flat, you will get more coverage and get away with very short hair at lower density than native as well as blending better with your existing minaturizing hair. It will limit your hairstyle somewhat but with products you can still mess it up and make it look good. But as I said, be wary when they agree to do something that's different form their usual way.

I can't see how they can plant 70 per cm2 but they say they can. I would think 50 at flat angles would be OK, but too many variables to generalize, I suppose.

It would seem that fine hair should help reduce transection all tings being equal, because they'll still use the same punch anyway.

hi,

i have had 2 fues, about 4250 grafts total. my donor looked quite normal 2 weeks after 2nd surgery. i gues hair grows about 5 mm in 2 weeks, so this length is no problem in my case. i have had average donor density before my hair transplants.

cheers guys,

Scar5;

You touched on something ive never thought of before, neither have i seen it on the forum.

The fact of planting at an angle for density.

Your right about planting straight up it nearly always looks bad imo.

My hair lays flat in the front hairline and flat and to the side in the temples, so i guess they would plant the same, But i will defo mention it when i go for any consults now.

Also when it grow out to 1/2 inch or so regardless of angle it can be styled.

Its density im concerned about and it matching the rest.

Has anyone here had 65FU per cm2 implanted ? Or close ?

...why would docs plant upwards if it can be a negative effect?

It is not designed to have a negative effect, obviously. As I said earlier,

1) If it's slightly more vertical on top, it helps build the illusion of density at the lengths that the traditional (strip) HT industry consider standard for good pics. Here lies the key reason IMO. All HTs are an illusion. There never has been any attempt, and never will be, to replicate the density hair surrounding and within the balding zone - no matter what they tell you. It is simply impossible to achieve those kind of numbers and the subtle variations in hair diameter that make up that appearance. But the miracle effect happens when the certain length is reached - as Jotronic calls it, 'the sweet spot', and bang! suddenly you have rocking hair!

But here is the key bit and it is most pertinent to shorter (FUE?) hair. You CAN get a really cool style with flat hair, and you can have very short hair and take ADVANTAGE of the length an FUE donor zone would allow you to pull off. The strip guys never go for it. They wanna tell you to GROW your hair and cover that damn strip scar, come on to a website like this and tell everyone how great it is. So they go for BIG hair. And volume.

2) Technical reasons. Now here I am simply guessing. It might be easier to poke the knife in slightly more vertically, it might be safer? a) ?? less likely to puncture the hair behind, on the periphery of the recipient zone, b) ??Docs may feel that circulation will be better deeper in. c) ??That's how they used to do it, and there is still a lag, a kind of inertia where you just do it as you do it.

3) Planting flat for coverage ala roof slate style is relatively new. I personally think that in this age of FUE and micropigmentation, we will see a revival of smaller transplants where getting huge numbers and 'wow effect' results is less a priority. Instead, less volume, but more natural at short length will be more common and angles will be more talked about. But that said, H&W etc. will still be churning out 5000+ strips.

3) Clinic routines, protocols, lack of communication, safe bets, covering ones on ass in case of failure..etc., all good reasons, docs, techs and reps say stuff to patients like , 'yes, yes, we will do that for you' and do other things, and when you are in that drug induced delirium-bliss having finally arrived at the big moment you will swallow it. I've been there many times, and the amount of BS I digested with a smile on my face in that condition - all I can say is duhhh...

But it can go the other way. More than once I came to a clinic with a 'better' plan that the docs. Once, one of them gleefully accepted my proposition, carried out the work and it was awful. I should have followed his original idea.

Scar5 that was a really good explanation with good points.

Its just that i see docs on the forums post small fue session quoting 65 - 70 fu cm2?

I know you said in your opinion that they could never achieve your natural density say 80fu

but do you thin they could achieve the 65 mark?

I was also told in consult that 70 in temple region to me wouldn't be a problem?

And this was with a good Dr from Belgium.

Also no to single out but Dr Feriduni (not the guy i have seen) produces good work with clear pics and results and nearly always plants at 60 mark?

Just a bit confused :confused:

Also just another point if you were buzz don wouldnt the FUE cm2 have to be the same to make it blend in?

No, it's illusion. You wouldn't want the original density. Remember, the native hair on the periphery was different in texture even when it is was growing without being attacked by DHT. By the time you are getting an HT, the peripheral hair is finer, quite possibly with different pigment qualities and most definitely at a higher density and lower diameter. Having the hair planted at the same density would look bad, beside waste grafts. HTs are illusion, even at the buzz level. Having the thicker course hairs lie flat and interlocking with each other can (case-by-case) be good for blending with the buzz, but it isn't perfect. Having them point upwards is awful. And orientation of the grafts is critical too, much more so than for longer styles. You can make a slit at the perfect angle and slide a graft in the wrong way so it grows out like a banana. No good.

Here is an example, also note the angles you were talking about (ive now started noticing :))

When it comes to quotes about numbers, I can't say anything with any confidence.

I hear/see numbers, but I really don't know, so what I am saying is conjecture.

I suspect that - and only suspect - that some apples fall off the cart along the way

Below - think density value A = largest number per/cm , going to 'D', the least

> 1) We, the clinic, can plant 'A' /cm

> 2) But in your particular case we actually planted 'B' /cm

> 3) Of which 'C' /cm grew

> 4) Of which 'D' /cm grew at the original diameter, the remainder at a lesser diameter* (*happens in FUE, I suspect)

Oh, and note that docs always say, (good ones) we always plant at the same angle as the surrounding hair, in order to avoid transection of nearby follicles, but do/can they really? - on a shaven scalp, they can certainly see the hair a mm below the surface of the skin if the color contrasts are right. I don't think they can really, and then once you add another variable - the slight deviations and twists in the orientation of the grafts into these slits, you have got a recipe for hair growing all over the place. Once again, the longer the hair, the easier it is to disguise and HT surgeons often say 'the hair will settle' which is a bit, eh..em, in my opinion.

Thanks Scar5,

I thought i knew alot about HTs but you go to a new level lol. Ive been to consults where you have more knowledge then the clinic.

Some really good points/advice to think about.

I know this is a hard question to answer but.... if i wanted my temples filling in with bit in the hairline say 1000 FUE in total (see the pic) and went with a good fue doc ie Dr Bisanga, Dr Feriduni etc.

It does look a bit worse in person the the hairline is a bit this towards the temple and makes me look like i have a large forehead.

Would the chances be in my favour of getting a good result and be happy with the result?

I am realistic and not after a NW1 hairline just after a less receded look. with stronger temple area.

Some of the points you make kind of scare me off the idea lol ;) Im just after your opinion

Thanks

5b32d06fb8f3d_Hairlinesituation.jpg.00df9391625ba9b8bfdfa7cf3562302d.jpg

Edited by RichFrog

Thanks Scar5,

I thought i knew alot about HTs but you go to a new level lol. Ive been to consults where you have more knowledge then the clinic.

I assure you they know more than me, much more, but they are running a business. And they answer these kinda queries appropriately day in, day out, or else they are not in business -at least among the esteemed 'ultra-refined' group we promote here.

if i wanted my temples filling in with bit in the hairline say 1000 FUE in total (see the pic) and went with a good fue doc ie Dr Bisanga, Dr Feriduni etc.

I think the prognosis is good. They can plant flat and if , and I say if, you have enough hair behind, the hair planted flat will splay out from the corners of your temples giving that big forehead a lot of cover. Maybe some receding behind the planted zone with shocked out hair. If they make the slits at a flat angle they have to go extremely close to the hair behind, some of which will be weakened by DHT. Trade -off, but I guess, it would be worth it. If you lose a lot of hair behind and then buzz, you might have an overly dense area where they planted the DHT resistant hair. That has happened to me.

If they plant for a swept back look, that can work too, and has the bonus of giving you a lot more coverage behind. My guess is the surgeries will steer you that way for safety's sake, but both ways would potentially work. If your crown is going, you may wanna know whether you can keep the front area swept back with a balding crown. Many do and can and some of us hate the idea.

Some of the points you make kind of scare me off the idea lol ;) Im just after your opinion

meh...nothing I'm saying just here is that surprising or shocking.