Considering re-starting finasteride

Rock82

After coming to the realization that I am rapidly headings towards NW 6-7 territory, I am considering re-starting fin against my better judgment. My hair line has been receding since about age 19, however it didn't start to bother me or really become noticeable until around age 22.

Began diffuse thinning in the crown and mid-scalp around age 24, and now at age 29 basically my whole non-safe zone is made up of thin miniaturized hair. May post pics if I get the nerve, but basically my hair is very similar to Prince William, except dark brown and shorter (same diffuse thinning).

Started taking fin at age 23 for about 5 months. Didn't experience any major side effects, but I did feel slightly more tired and sex drive may have also been a bit down. Also, I started reading all the horror stories on the internet and that may have freaked me out, so I stopped.

Now I feel so desperate I may even be willing to risk some sides if it will help my hair. Minox made my heart race so I had to stop that. The only "treatment" I am now on is Nizarol 1% (2-3x a week, for about a year) and 320mg of Saw Palmetto (about 1 month so far).

However as the horseshoe grows clearer and clearer, I feel I need to do something more to save my hair. I am single, and my confidence with women has taken a huge hit. Although I don't wear concealer to work, I can't go out to any non-work social gathering without it. I feel naked without it, and even that has been less and less effective as the hair loss has progressed. I am basically 100% that I have massive amounts of DHT (extreme body hair), so I do know the root of the problem. I have thought about buzzing my whole head, and may do it soon, but I am not thrilled with its shape and don't think that will help my confidence much. Financially, transplant is not really an option at this time (as I would need a MEGA session or 2, or 3).

Basically just venting so sorry for all of the the rambling. Any thoughts/advice are welcome, thanks.

Well, if you are Norwood 6, it is already too late to ingest finasteride or pour minoxidil, so hair transplant is all you have left. Another solution is shaving your head all together and taking some sun, it doesn't look bad.

Women that care more about your receding hair rather than your personality or other physical attributes are probably not worth your time anyway. I do understand that infatuation is helped with good looks, and having hair helps the majority of times, but I firmly believe that confidence does not come from a full hair line nor blue eyes nor bulky muscles; but rather from a positive attitude.

Finasteride doesn't have as much side effects taken with less dosages and less frequently. I'd still consult a doctor, if you are so inclined on taking it.

All you can do is try, once you try hard and it doesn't work, or the side-effects are not worth it, then at least you can be happy that you did everything you could.

If I am unable to maintain the regimen for any reason, I'd simply shave and continue exercising, taking the sun, eating fruits and vegetables abundantly, in other words: having a healthy life.

Edited by gasto

Agree with gasto. Odds are, trying the propecia again will not cause any long lasting damage, perhaps no noticeable sides at all, so if you think you should try it again, then go for it, especially if you're seriously considering a HT when you can afford it.

Personally, I'd consider the shave down, healthy lifestyle approach gasto has prescribed. I'm of the opinion that anyone past a Norwood 3 should seriously reconsider a HT. I know there are some impressive success stories for more advanced hair loss sufferers (and you could be one of them, I suppose), but I tend to think they are few and far between. However, ultimately, it comes down to your expectations and the kind of result you're willing to live with.

"A MEGA session or 2, or 3" will be a long, arduous and expensive journey which you cannot turn back from once you begin. Think hard on that one.

Best of luck.