HT Strategy (with Poll)

HT Strategy = 6,500 grafts  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am wondering what is the best strategy is in terms of hair transplant surgeries.

- Is it better to have multiple / smaller surgeries

- Are 2 large surgeries a better result, get it over with quicker

Assumptions:

- total grafts required 6,500

- cost not a problem

- both FUT & FUE are acceptible to patient

Questions:

- is it really a good idea to be cutting up behind the ear?

Edited by ParraPhil

Hi,

I didn't do the poll because I think that this is a question for your doctor and not novices like myself. I had read that concentrating on the crown isn't a good strategy because it may take a bundle of grafts to get good coverage ie. Future loss in the front hairline may need additional grafts which may be depleted due to previous surgeries.

Regards rod

I agree that this is a better question to ask several top surgeons and decide what is best for you considering what your goals are and other factors that good doctors take into consideration. Everyone here tries to be helpful, but most of us are not experts. I would be very hesitant to factor in poll results on a decision such as this if it were me.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Cheers guys ...

Not really expecting "expert" answers here, just wanting some personal preferences from people who have had HT experiences as to what they found good & bad about their approach.

I was quoted 3,500 grafts as I said I wanted the front 1/3 reconstructed. I will also need some midscalp thickening up at a later date. My personal preference is to break it up into 3 x 2,000 instalments. If this is a dumb approach, I'd be happy to hear why.

I'm not a fan of cutting high up behind the ear. Is there a reason why they do this.

Is there a risk of scars stretching if you take a thicker slice of 20cm x 1.5cm Vs a longer slice of 35cm x 1cm.

If it were me I would probably do that in two sessions, rather than go through it three times to achieve your goals. If I had enough density and laxity I might even consider one session to do it all. I would not think that the length of the scar would impact the risk of stretching......I would think width of the strip and laxity would be the bigger factors.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1