Strip - Complications from having your head sliced open

Has anyone had any complications from undergoing strip surgery?

Is it only cutting in at the skin level or does it cut deeper to the neck muscles ?

I have seen the photo's Dr Lindsey puts up and they look quite brutal when you see the open wound.

Phil,

The incision goes down to the dermis - the deepest layer of skin, located superficially to the sub-cutaneous fat, muscles, etc. Therefore, no muscles are cut during the procedure.

The two biggest complications from Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), in my opinion, would be post-operative infection (a concern in any surgical procedure) and eventual scarring. Most physicians utilize an appropriate antibiotic regimen to prevent infection, and scarring involves numerous variables and has been discussed many times on the discussion forums.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Blake,

I've always had stiff neck problems at the base of the rear hairline, so was concerned at what area was being cut.

I have seen numerous scars photos, and hundreds of fabulous +12 month results from all the forums and patient websites.

I had eye lasik surgery at the start of the year, and did minimal research (waited for a friend to get theirs done first) and had a fabulous result.

I have done massive HT research and it could be a case of over analysis = paralysis as I simply can't commit to going ahead just yet.

Strip surgery to me, still seems rather barbaric !

FUE is ridiculously over-priced (lets charge double as I have to work an extra 2 hours) and destroys the donor zone rather quickly.