I really could use some shedding wisdom from former HT patients, doctors or anyone really. :)

I thought everything was going great for me up to the 6 month 3 week mark but in the last 2 weeks I really think I have either had a big shed or my hairs got considerably thinner. I started on Rogaine 2 weeks after my HT per my doctors instructions but I did not get a big shed then or in the first 6 months. Could this be a delayed Rogaine shed or something else? Any and all wisdom will be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Yes, rogaine can lead to a shed even on 6 months, normally earlier though. BTW - your 7 months pics look ace, stop looking in the mirror all the time...I think you're over analysing to much. I could be calling it wrong, but I doubt it icon_smile.gif

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Originally posted by Petchski:

Yes, rogaine can lead to a shed even on 6 months, normally earlier though. BTW - your 7 months pics look ace, stop looking in the mirror all the time...I think you're over analysing to much. I could be calling it wrong, but I doubt it icon_smile.gif

First thanks for the reply. I didnt know if anyone was going to reply. icon_smile.gif

Second do you know if that rogaine shed is temporary or permanent usually?

Third thanks for the kind words.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

The rogaine shed, like the propecia shed, is temporary, and those hairs lost will grow back thicker. I experienced the same thing when I started rogaine, it is alarming, but not permanent, so try not to stress.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Originally posted by Petchski:

The rogaine shed, like the propecia shed, is temporary, and those hairs lost will grow back thicker. I experienced the same thing when I started rogaine, it is alarming, but not permanent, so try not to stress.

Thank you. I was expecting a shed when I started rogaine but not after 6 months. I hope that is what happened and it all does come back as you said. I appreciate your replies. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego,

i read few cases where guys were saying that they had multiple sheds within their first 2 years after HT and hairloss drug use. so i think it's normal that frequent sheds come and go within first 1.5 years after HT and all the drug consumption.

but that on the side of your head doesn't look like a typical shed to me. it looks more like a shock loss to me. is your scar anywhere near that missing patch on the right side?

Wantego,

May I ask if you are using Rogaine foam?

I had a massive shed on foam, it actually caused around a square inch of hair bearing skin to become completely bald.

It has been maybe 5-6 months since I stopped using the foam and a lot of the hair in the area has returned, however, It is still a fair bit thinner than it was, prior to the foam.

Originally posted by Maxxy:

Wantego,

May I ask if you are using Rogaine foam?

I had a massive shed on foam, it actually caused around a square inch of hair bearing skin to become completely bald.

It has been maybe 5-6 months since I stopped using the foam and a lot of the hair in the area has returned, however, It is still a fair bit thinner than it was, prior to the foam.

Maxxy,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad most your hair has returned. That must have been pretty scary for you. How many months were you on the foam when your shed occurred? Yes I have been using rogaine foam. My doctor recommends using it from the 2 week mark for the first 12 months following a HT.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by Mr. GQ:

wantego,

i read few cases where guys were saying that they had multiple sheds within their first 2 years after HT and hairloss drug use. so i think it's normal that frequent sheds come and go within first 1.5 years after HT and all the drug consumption.

but that on the side of your head doesn't look like a typical shed to me. it looks more like a shock loss to me. is your scar anywhere near that missing patch on the right side?

GQ, thanks for the reply. I was not referring to the area on the side you think looks like possible shock loss. It could be shock loss or have another explanation. I really do not know what that is from. icon_smile.gif

The shed I'm referring to is some thinning that has taken place in the last 2-3 weeks on top. Thanks for addressing the shedding after HT's. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I think I was on the foam for 5-6 months total, I can't remember the exact timelines now. I did write about it at the time but I forget if it was on this site or another.

Again, I can't remember the timelines but I had a bad shed - an area went totally bald then the hair started to grow back, it got to maybe an inch in length then fell out again. I continued with the foam and the hair came back, however, yet again it fell out before getting any real length to it so I stopped, and since stopping the foam - the area that kept shedding has continued to grow but yes, the area is thinner.

It was scary at the time and still causes me some concern, the hair had just started growing back when I recieved my transplant. So I had a lot of worry over whether or not to transplant hair into that area.

When I had my transplant the doctor gave me a steriod shot into the area that had shedded, if that had any bearing on the hair not falling at a short length again, I don't know.

I think I was on the foam for 5-6 months total, I can't remember the exact timelines now. I did write about it at the time but I forget if it was on this site or another.

Again, I can't remember the timelines but I had a bad shed - an area went totally bald then the hair started to grow back, it got to maybe an inch in length then fell out again. I continued with the foam and the hair came back, however, yet again it fell out before getting any real length to it so I stopped, and since stopping the foam - the area that kept shedding has continued to grow but yes, the area is thinner.

It was scary at the time and still causes me some concern, the hair had just started growing back when I recieved my transplant. So I had a lot of worry over whether or not to transplant hair into that area.

When I had my transplant the doctor gave me a steriod shot into the area that had shedded, if that had any bearing on the hair not falling at a short length again, I don't know.

I really appreciate you letting me know how things went for you. It sounds like you feel it was rogaine related. Did you use rogaine again after your ht? I never heard of that kind of steroid shot before. Did you get new hair transplanted in that area after the shot or just had the shot alone?

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by lanthanos:

Have you ever used liquid Rogaine or just the foam?

Did you ever get a shed on the liquid Rogaine?

I have only used the foam. That was recommended to me. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Well in my mind I'm certain it was the foam, my surgeon had his doubts, he believes it may have been case of Alopecia areata.

I respect my doctors views but this only happened after starting the foam and only in the area around where the foam was applied, coincidence?

We transplant into the area as the hair had started to come back but was thinner then it was previous, the hair I have in the area now is not transplant hair as yet, or atleast not the vast majority of it as the hair is over 3 inches in length.

Edit:

I'm currently not using any Rogaine, I wanted to see how the transplant comes in first but I will not be returning to the foam.

Well in my mind I'm certain it was the foam, however my surgeon had his doubts, he believes it may have been case of Alopecia areata.

I respect my doctors views but this only happened after starting the foam and only in the area around where the foam was applied, coincidence?

We transplant into the area as the hair had started to come back but was thinner then it was previous, the hair I have in the area now is not transplant hair as yet, or atleast not the vast majority of it as the hair is over 3 inches in length.

Since it is now over 3 inches long it sounds like either it grew back on its own or that steroid shot worked. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Yeah it's just a annoying its thin but hopefully the transplanted hair with fix that.

I really liked the foam it was so quick and easy to apply, had it not been for the reaction I had I would have continued to use it through out transplant.

Shedding 6 months after using Rogaine consistently seems a bit strange, but I certainly wouldn't say it's impossible.

Hopefully male pattern baldness isn't progressing further and like others have experienced, this shed is temporary. Only time will tell.

Are you also using Propecia? I'm sure I asked this before, but I honestly can't remember and don't see it mentioned in this thread.

Best wishes,

Bill

Wantego,

Have you considered using the foam only once a day?

I read recently that due to the half life of Minoxidil that once a day will give you the same benifits of a twice a day application, maybe this will reduce shedding if this is what you are suffering from?

Be patient

The thing about HT's & meds is that it gets worse before it gets better

Hang in there

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!