My hair transplantation experience

dugman

Guys,

I have not had a hair transplantation before but my experience towards it has already started. I hail from India and after thorough research online I found out that Dr. Pathuri madhu has been recommended by this website as a reputed hair restoration surgeon. Well, I have to say I found this site "after" booking an appointment with him next month for my hair restoration.

I have posted my current status pics in my album and look through my profile for my baldness history, reason and other stuff. I am going to share my experiences here starting from my hair transplantation date (November 5 2011) till a year long.

I have one question if someone could answer, how many FUT will I be requiring for covering my frontal bald area completely ?

Thanks,

Dug

Welcome Dug,

How long have you been on finasteride? You still have a lot of hair to keep and your crown seems to be well intact. I'd say around 3k-4K grafts should do the trick for you. You do seem to have a good donor supply.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Remember Dug, graft count needed is not an exact science. You may hear different recommendations from each doctor you visit for a consultation. It is pretty easy for most of the semi-educated, like myself, to say that 2,500 grafts may give you great results, however a trained doctor is the best because they can personally evaluate you and better predict future hair loss, current hair health, donor hair available, and all the other things, that should be considered when deciding graft count.

What I do is look at photos of others that have similar pre-op loss to mine. Then I look at post-op pictures and graft count and the results they achieved. This is also kind of generalized as well, because there are many variables such as: survival rate, the doctors artistic and medical abilities, personal healing characteristics, and so on.

My non professional answer is that if "all goes as expected" 2,000 to 2,500 grafts would likely make a difference you would be happy with, and with minimal continued native hair loss, you can go years and years with one procedure and probably be happy about it.

dugman,

Welcome! Congratulation on booking your hair transplant with recommended hair restoration physician Dr. Pathuri Madhu.

If you'd like assistance in calculating the number of grafts you'll need, try using our interactive graft calculator here.

I look forward to following your journey. Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Welcome Dug,

How long have you been on finasteride? You still have a lot of hair to keep and your crown seems to be well intact. I'd say around 3k-4K grafts should do the trick for you. You do seem to have a good donor supply.

Hi Aaron,

I have been on finasteride for just two months and I read the side effects causes impotency. I know very well that there are numerous side effects for a simple paracetamol that works only in 0.0x % of the time. But then, I cannot take finasteride heartily and that is the reason I stopped it. I don't want to be on a drug for a lifetime. This is totally my own decision after giving a thorough thought.

And thanks for your input on the number of grafts. I feel good now.

-Dug

Remember Dug, graft count needed is not an exact science. You may hear different recommendations from each doctor you visit for a consultation. It is pretty easy for most of the semi-educated, like myself, to say that 2,500 grafts may give you great results, however a trained doctor is the best because they can personally evaluate you and better predict future hair loss, current hair health, donor hair available, and all the other things, that should be considered when deciding graft count.

What I do is look at photos of others that have similar pre-op loss to mine. Then I look at post-op pictures and graft count and the results they achieved. This is also kind of generalized as well, because there are many variables such as: survival rate, the doctors artistic and medical abilities, personal healing characteristics, and so on.

My non professional answer is that if "all goes as expected" 2,000 to 2,500 grafts would likely make a difference you would be happy with, and with minimal continued native hair loss, you can go years and years with one procedure and probably be happy about it.

Thank you for giving your honest opinion. Yes I agree with you on the number of graft count required is totally "specific" to each person based on history, gene and many other factors that needs to be consulted with a doctor thoroughly before getting a transplant.

One of the doctors I met advised me that I have decent amount of hair such that Finasteride and Mioxidyl would alone do. But then, I am now greedy since my hair loss has considerably reduced if not stopped and want to have my old hair style back.

Thanks again for your input, I am feeling comfortable already in this forum !

Edited by dugman

talk about number of grafts the doctors can charge you more than what was realy planted.

Which is why it is extremely important to go to a surgeon/clinic you wholeheartedly trust.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Hi Aaron,

I have been on finasteride for just two months and I read the side effects causes impotency. I know very well that there are numerous side effects for a simple paracetamol that works only in 0.0x % of the time. But then, I cannot take finasteride heartily and that is the reason I stopped it. I don't want to be on a drug for a lifetime. This is totally my own decision after giving a thorough thought.

And thanks for your input on the number of grafts. I feel good now.

-Dug

Did you feel any side effects yourself?

Did you feel any side effects yourself?

Nope, no side effects. But then I asked should I really use it. Since it is not going to cover my frontal and temple regions. Only a transplant can get me there. This also was another reason to stop it.

• 1 month later...

I am having my transplantation done tomorrow and went for an official consultation today. Dr.Madhu inspected my head and told that I would require around 2.5 - 3 K follicular units. I was asked to use the Finasteride and Mioxydl post operation in order to retain the existing hair.

I will posting the post operation pictures in a couple of days.

Wish me luck!