My Current Experiment

Kenaz73

I decided to quit Avodart last month after about 1 year because of the recent research on the possible long term effect. That and my libido seemed to finally be affected by it.

Since I wasn't too thrilled of just leaning on Regain for damage control on my hairline, which hadn't been dazzling anyway so far, I decided to pursue my experiment with topicals. I dropped the one I was on - Vit C serum- because it was a pain to apply being oil-based.

My goal was still to look for active ingredients that stimulate the skin's biochemistry hoping it would somehow make my scalp healthier and maybe wake up those lazy miniaturized follicles. I also wanted a topical anti-androgen to make up for the discontinued oral treatment.

After poring over skin-related research, I went for two components that fit my criteria. 2.5 weeks into the new regimen, I'd say my hairloss has decreased by 40-50% to something like a max of 30-40 hairs a day. My hair also looks a lot less oily after a couple of days without being washed, which was a major hassle for me.

The other improvement is I'm now making a water-based lotion. It lets me use a pipette to go through the hair then I just let it run down my scalp without creating collateral mess.

I don't want to be too excited about it yet because for all I know at least part of the improvement could have been caused be me getting off Avodart. I'm going to keep at it at least 1 1/2 month to see if things fizzles. There are a couple more ingredients I'm also planning on adding based on their skin cell pampering properties.

I'll keep you updated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I realize this post was a while ago, but I'm wondering if you ever got results from the topical vitamin C serum. I ask this because I recently came across two studies that explains how a specific form of vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid 2-phosphate) may work to counter the action of DHT on the scalp. Apparently, it is able to elongate the entire hair shaft.

The study was in-vitro (in a test tube) rather than in-vivo (in humans or animals), but sometimes for topical hair studies this doesn't matter, because the topical action is replicated as it would have been in-vivo.

It's possible that the 2-phosphate form is needed, and that standard ascorbic acid wouldn't do the trick - but I always try to seek out people's experiences, because sometimes they are more worthwhile than the studies.

Here are the studies: l-Ascorbic acid 2-phosphate promotes elongatio... [br J Dermatol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI and L-ascorbic acid 2-phosphate represses the dihyd... [Exp Dermatol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

(As I re-read your original post - I found that I read it wrong and you originally dropped the vitamin C, rather than starting it up - In that case, does anyone else have experience with topical vitamin C?)

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

• 1 month later...

I only use topicals (with the exception of Saw Palmetto as a part of my regular supplements). I used propecia and generic finsateride for years and had no regrowth, though I believe it held my hair at bay. I quit finasteride because of side effects and cost and now, with only topicals, I have a full head of hair again (aside from occasional shedding).

Topicals, if applied properly and consistently, worked amazing for me. My only advice is to be consistent and persistent. I wasted so much money, I only wish I had been doing this 15 years ago!

• 1 year later...
I only use topicals (with the exception of Saw Palmetto as a part of my regular supplements). I used propecia and generic finsateride for years and had no regrowth, though I believe it held my hair at bay. I quit finasteride because of side effects and cost and now, with only topicals, I have a full head of hair again (aside from occasional shedding).

Topicals, if applied properly and consistently, worked amazing for me. My only advice is to be consistent and persistent. I wasted so much money, I only wish I had been doing this 15 years ago!

@alpha... : which topicals you applied?

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, finasteride cannot actually stop your hair loss. Finasteride only reduces the level (approx. 69%) of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in your blood and on your scalp. Getting regrowth with finasteride is not easily obtained.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Unfortunately, finasteride cannot actually stop your hair loss. Finasteride only reduces the level (approx. 69%) of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in your blood and on your scalp. Getting regrowth with finasteride is not easily obtained.

I am very very surprised this is coming from a doctor's rep.

We've seen over and over that finasteride often offers substantial regrowth. Especially in the crown and especially when hair is miniaturized. It may not stop hair loss forever but both five and ten year studies show that it has long term efficacy.

Many clinics and patients rely on fin to make an ht result sustainable for years before subsequent procedures are necessary. It'd be interesting to know if Dr. Mwamba shares your views on this.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.