Before it is too late

Tom2011

Hello everyone,

I have spent hours reading posts on this site in the last 3 days. I am very impressed with the site and the fact that there are decent members who are taking the time to share their experience and provide help to other members.

About 4 years ago, I noticed that I am losing hair (I took pics for my hair 4 years ago, available under my profile). I think stress might have accelerated the process. I started taking Propecia and Rogaine on and off for the last 14 months. It seems like it helped. However, I am still not happy. Now, I am considering HT. My questions are:

1- I noticed some members advising others to spend 1-2 years researching. I agree with the fact that I need to do some research. However, researching for 1-2 years? That got my worried if I am getting into something that could be way more serious than what I expected. I also read few posts stating that a "Hair transplantation surgery is a lifelong emotional journey". This sounds very scary. What am I getting into?

2- I live in Maryville TN, Looking for a HT surgeon in the area. However, I am willing to fly to get it done with one of the best HT surgeon. Because I do not want to risk it. Any recommendations? Based on what I read, Dr. Rahal and Dr. Shapiro are one of the best. Anyone else nearby or is it worth it to fly to either one?

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Tom2011

Tom,

Im not sure that its necessary to research for 2 years but you should definitely spend some time understanding what you're getting into. I think I researched on this site for around a year before getting my ht. About half that time was just processing whats involved and deciding if I could actually do something like this. Definitely consider traveling for the right doc so that you get what you want. The two you mentioned would be worth the trip. Im not sure I would call this scary but the main 2 things people stress about are either getting a poor result and/or losing more hair after the op. By doing your research you will have a good understanding of what a realistic and safe goal would be for yourself. As a starting point you might want to do some online consults to get feedback on whether or not you're a good candidate and what the docs think can be done in your case.

Edited by Levrais
typo

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

First off, you can't go on and off with Propecia and Minox for 14 months and expect to see great benefits. You have to be on them indefinitely.

Yeah, two years of research not totally necessary unless you are really young. But an HT is a very emotional journey. Simply because if you sign up for one you are pretty much signing up for them for life because hair loss is progressive and you'll always be playing catch up. And after each transplant you WILL look worse than you did before it for at least 3 months. So you have to be mentally and emotionally prepared for the long haul.

All that said, you've come to the right place. Study the patient blogs for each doc on this site. Pick your top 5-10 docs and consult with them. Don't look for the best doc in Tennessee - look for the best doc period!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Agree that it is not necessary to do research for two years, but you do need to do thorough research and ultimately be very comfortable with both your choice to undergo a HT and the surgeon you choose. By doing this, you understand planning for the long run and also reasonable expectations for your potential results. Absolutely don't limit yourself geographically......people travel around the world for their HT. You will be living with the results for the rest of your life, so make good choices. You have come to a good place to do a lot of your research.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

One year of occasional browsing of forums and other sources of information could equate to a couple of months of more intensive research. The important thing is to know how hair transplants work, what is involved before and after surgery and to get a good look at patient results. You need to enter into this with realistic expectations.

I looked at your photos. Your hairloss has been quite aggressive over the past 4 years. You've lost quite a lot of hair at the front and at the crown and it wouldn't surprise me if you were headed for a NW5. Your hair does look coarse and has a bit of a wave to it, which is a good thing when it comes to achieving the look of fullness with a hair transplant.

Like aaron1234 said, you really need to commit fully to the treatments if you want to gain the most from them, and if you want to continue benefiting from any improvements they've given you.

Do you think your hairloss has stopped or slowed down since you began using Propecia and Rogaine?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for all of you. On average, do majority of people with HT go for more than one HT surgery?

If you are still losing hair after the first HT and decided to quit and not to proceed with a second HT. Would the decision be as simple as not having HT to start with?

Levrais, Thanks for the help. Based on what you know right now. Do you still think that HT was a good choice for you? Also, did the side effects completely disappear after you stopped taking propecia?

Aaron. I am going back fulltime with the Propecia & Minox. Based on what you know right now. Do you still think that HT was a good choice for you?

orlhair1. Based on what you know right now. Do you still think that HT was a good choice for you?

mattJ, My hair loss stopped and I might be doing little bit better after I started the treatments. Actually, the pics I have listed are about 9 months old. I just uploaded fresh pics.

Thanks,

Tom

2011-08-26_13-57-04_929.jpg.0eb13c5f17fd938282ae80ad7c2d8494.jpg

2011-08-28_00-59-49_300.jpg.71023622c8a1c283d552040dd1bc24b3.jpg

2011-08-28_01-00-28_738.jpg.21578d51baf2912f4c106344b731af09.jpg

2011-08-28_01-01-44_526.jpg.8aac35a6d465d271a51f6585a11308b2.jpg

2011-08-28_01-02-05_779.jpg.72aabe4b86248065f9339feca8deda01.jpg

2011-08-28_01-02-26_928.jpg.8dc5bde946cdb349337eeaa0d512a9ba.jpg

2011-08-28_01-03-21_149.jpg.e8a7e37e6928de73da1e285867ddec3c.jpg

2011-08-28_01-10-00_548.jpg.21454e54e365226c9462966eb366396f.jpg

Edited by Tom2011

Aaron. I am going back fulltime with the Propecia & Minox. Based on what you know right now. Do you still think that HT was a good choice for you?

Tom,

Thanks for posting the pics. I think Fin and Minox could really help someone with the kind of loss you have. Really stick with it this time around!

Going to the closest and cheapest doc near me for my first procedure was a horrible choice. He left me with micro-grafts, 2-3 hair grafts in the hairline, scarring and pitting in the in the recipient area, a donor scar outside of the safe zone, etc. And he was recommended on this site!! :eek:

Going to Shapiro Medical Group was a great choice! I only wish I went with them for my first procedure. Dr. Paul has been fantastic for me and has put me back on the right track.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Tom, I am really glad I had my HT and thankful that I found SMG to do it. I am comfortable that if I had chosen any of my top three I probably would feel the same way.....obviously my only experience was with SMG. I would definitely do it again if I had the chance to make the decision again.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Tom,

There are people who are "one and done" as they say. There are basically 3 reasons why someone will have a 2nd ht. In my case I planned to break in into 2 parts to start slow and see how it worked before committing limited grafts. There are those who planned on one but didn't get the result they want so chose to do another. Then there are people who got what they wanted but continued to lose hair so chose to get another ht. One of the reasons I went with fue is so that I could still shave down if I decided to hang it up without it being too obvious that I had work done.

At this point I am glad I did the ht. I don't have the final result yet but so far this is the best thing I have done for myself. My thinking is that even if I were to lose more hair later, it still makes sense to move it around to where it looks good now and I can enjoy it for longer whether permanently or for even 10 years.. As for propecia sides, that is a touchy subject on here. People who don't have sides think those who do are full of it. My sides were not that extreme. I'm not sure that they away 100% to be perfectly honest.

Edited by Levrais
Typo

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 3 weeks later...