Dr. True and Dr. Dorin

joshelstad

What are everyone's thoughts on True and Dorin? I am wanting to get my hairline "re-established" this winter. I need about 2500+ grafts.

I've donsulted with a lot of different doctors, even the big wiggs. I like True and Dorin's site.

Thanks!

Joshelstad,

I highly recommend True & Dorin.

They're very professional, ethical and consistently produce excellent results. I think that they have close to 30 years of combined experience in the hair restoration field between the two of them. What's more, they stand behind their work and patients.

I consulted with several doctors before making my decision, but T&D stood out in my opinion which is why I chose them. So if I were you, I would definitely do an in-person consultation with them.

I did two consultation with Dr. True and then I did two more with Dr. Dorin before I decided to go through with a procedure. After consulting with each of them, I felt comfortable having either one of them do my HT, so I went with Dr. Dorin who happened to have an earlier opening available.

I just had my second procedure with Dr. Dorin two weeks ago. In the links below, you can read a comprehensive review regarding my decision to go with T&D and of the procedure and the follow up care which I just posted today.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159626-review-true-dorin-part-1-3-pre-op.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162392-review-true-dorin-part-2-3-procedure-follow-up-care.html#post2276915

Also, click on the link in my signature to see a detailed account with loads of photos of my hair transplant experience on my hair loss website. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I too recommend T&D as I have consulted with them. The only thing that is holding me up at this point is that I think they might be more conservative than other dr's I have spoken to. What I mean is I was told I would pretty much have to go in for a second procedure for added density vs. other dr's that have stated I could get what I need (approx 2,500 give or take to my hairline/temples/corners, etc) in "one pass". I have researched why this occurs and there are just different schools of thought with how much density should be provided in one surgery due to FU survival, neither of which is right or wrong. I think it is just simply the patients goals and/or time frame that determine their decision. So with that said, I would state that Dorin is more on the conservative side and if that is the approach you want to take to be on the safer side then they are your men for the job! I am still on the fence about this as I am weighing which approach would be best for me. You should consider this too because you sound like my case with hairline issues. Again, nothing wrong with that as Dorin's results are great.

I think we are in the same boat. It is very hard to make a decision at this point. I've consulted with a few doctors in California, all three told me around 2,000 grafts. I then consulted with H&W and Dr. Rahal. They told me 3,000+ and the price that I was budgeting on went WAY up.

I still have yet to consult with T&D. I guess I will decide on what their thoughts are. I have a tentative appointment with Hasson and Wong in December.

Man this is all getting to be a lot. Dr. Diep in Los Gatos Califronia quoted me 2,200 grafts max at $8,000. And the videos he has shown me look really good. But no one on this site recommends him because he isn't so well known.

Definitely sounds like we are in the same boat...it is interesting to hear different dr's take on what I need done...i have spoken with Rahal and H&W too...they were the more aggressive ones with around 2,500 to 3,000 give or take. I want to consult with them in person but it is hard to just hop on a plane for a 45 min consultation...the phone consults are great but I think you need to be examined. I am under the impression though that people make their decisions based on the phone consults which is interesting and the day of they basically have their first and last consultation! lol. Don't let price deter you...because if you go to a dr just based on a better price i'm sure you would wind up spending A LOT more trying to fix it if it doesn't come out good. I would really like to get it done in "one pass" vs. 2 passes as 2,500 isn't a big procedure at all compared to others I have seen. Rahal and H&W would be the ones to do that if I went that route. I love how H&W have all those videos and such detailed ones too! Rahal doesn't really have that many pictures or on his website he has pics but they don't go into detail as to how many grafts, etc. He doesn't really have any good youtube videos either. He does great hairlines though and so dense which is nice. He dense packs which is great for a hairline but you don't want to also blow all of your donor hairs in the hairline in case you get worse and need to play catch up! I have seen Dr. Diep's videos...seem pretty good but he doesn't get any real exposure like the reknown doc's do on this site. I would def meet with T&D to talk shop with them and see what they have to say...Dorin is great. I have found out that the more research you do the more confusing it seems to become to pick a dr! lol. Obviously though you need to do the research. Do you have any pics? You can check out my lovely hairline on my profile lol.

Don't fret. Every one of us has gone through the same anxiety of choosing a doctor. The important thing is to be patient, take your time and research.

Remember that different doctors have different approaches. It's more a matter of what you want for yourself and how you want to go about getting it: aggressive or conservative. You'll be in a much better position to know what you want for yourself once you have done your due diligence and researched enough patient results as well as studied the pros and cons of whatever approach you're pursuing.

Just give it some time and it will work itself out. Things sort of just fall into place once you know what you want and how you want to get it.

Corvettester

Wow Capelli11, we are in the same boat.

I will post pics as soon as I can. I have some photos, but just started this sight and I have not had the time to post them yet.

My concern with being really aggressive at my age is; my future hairloss is unpredictable. Now, if you are a 50 year old man with great donor hair and the ability to be really aggressive with your hair transplant, go for it. But, 28? I've only been taking Propecia for 2 months now! I think the key is to get some density,establish a nice hairline with being somewhat conservative with the grafts. Who knows what the future holds. I am very pleased with Hasson and Wong and Dr. Rahal, but the amount they want to transplant is a little extreme, and is it necessary for density or at least the illusion of density?

I hear your point...it is weird to say but sometimes the people who are further along in their balding patterns tend to be able to get a great HT bc they don't have to worry about future loss really...they can just go to town and utilize a good portion of their donor hair...vs. say a NW 3 where you are so afraid to be a little aggressive in the hairline bc of POTENTIAL further loss. I think that 3k FU's to restore the hairline/temples/corners is reasonable. With that you could get good density...that would leave about 3-4k left for the crown area where you can get away with the "illusion of density". The hairline makes the most cosmetic difference. I also use concealers...do u?! They are awesome as they really take the pain of not having a great hairline away....creates the illusion of density...i never leave home without it...even past girlfriends have never known I use them! lol. Rahal and H&W are great for dense packing...esp Rahal. Their rates are competitive some what...they do offer travel discounts which help out. Rahal and H&W are great if you want just one pass so with that one pass comes more cost because if you broke up the procedure into 2 passes like say a Dorin does it obviously would cost less each time but in the end it still all equals out. Again...I wouldn't let money really be the driving force...obviously if you are tight it is understandable but all the dr's offer some kind of financing. I am going to just charge it as I have 0% interest for a year and then just pay it off during the year. I too just started propecia like 5 months ago give or take...not sure if it has been working too early to tell too...seeing less shedding in the shower which is great! Def upload some pics when you get some time.

But, 28? I've only been taking Propecia for 2 months now! I think the key is to get some density,establish a nice hairline with being somewhat conservative with the grafts. Who knows what the future holds. I am very pleased with Hasson and Wong and Dr. Rahal, but the amount they want to transplant is a little extreme, and is it necessary for density or at least the illusion of density?

You are in exactly the same situation as I was when I started looking into FUT two years ago: 28 years old, NW3, interested in reestablishing my hairline and closing my temples, uncertain future and wanting to play it safe...

I don't think that 3,000 grafts for a NW3 is extreme. I did 3,000 grafts over two sessions. It really depends on your hair characteristics. If you have thick, dark, curly hair (and darker skin), then 3,000 is probably too much as your hair will do most of the coverage by itself.

If, however, you have thin, fine, blonde hair, like I do, then you may want to opt for more grafts to better provide density and coverage. You don't want to go for the illusion of density in the hairline and temples, you want actual density if you have the donor supply to afford it.

So what type of hair do you have? Describe it to us. Post some photos and we'll be able to help you better. Also, what have the docs said about your donor availability? Below or above average?

H&W and Rahal are great. The consistently produce excellent results. However, depending on your hair characteristics, you may not need that many grafts to get the type of density and result that you desire. Plus, that extra thousand grafts may end up costing you an extra $4,000!

I'm glad to see that you are considering your future loss too. You're definitely asking all the right questions.

Corvettester

Joshelstad,

T&D is a great place to have an HT. I would also highly recommend them.

I have had 2 procedures there. My first, with Dr. Dorin, was 1508 FUT, and the 2nd, which I had done 3 weeks ago was 1008 grafts. I had a wonderful experience both times. Dr. Dorin is excellent, the techs and other staff are knowledgeable, helpful and kind. I can't say enough positive things about T&D.

I had excellent results from my first procedure. While it was on the conservative side, I always thought I'd be doing a second one, and I'm extremely happy I went in that direction.

First, for financial reasons, because it gave me time to save some money for the second one. And, secondly because I really actually had to think about whether I even needed/wanted to do the second one. Dr. Dorin was able to give me beyond just an illusion of density with the conservative first transplant, and, even though I had anticipated having the second, it took me a full month after my last consult to decide that I was actually going to do it because I didn't NEED it.

I'm horrible about taking and posting pictures, but my results have been posted here by the clinic.

You seem very well informed about HTs, so I would definitely suggest consulting with T&D and seeing what they have to say. They really are great!

teach77

T&D is a great place to have an HT. I would also highly recommend them.

I have had 2 procedures there. My first, with Dr. Dorin, was 1508 FUT...

I had excellent results from my first procedure. While it was on the conservative side, I always thought I'd be doing a second one, and I'm extremely happy I went in that direction.

Dr. Dorin was able to give me beyond just an illusion of density with the conservative first transplant, and, even though I had anticipated having the second, it took me a full month after my last consult to decide that I was actually going to do it because I didn't NEED it.

Teach77 is a perfect example of a few grafts going a long way. He has what I consider to be ideal hair characteristics for an HT.

Here is a link to his result from his first HT, a very conservative 1,500 grafts. An enormous transformation and exceptional result, in my opinion.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161214-dr-dorin-1508-frontal-fut.html

Corvettester

I will post pics tomorrow.

I really want to do this the proper way and not cut corners. Cost at this point is not an issue to me, I guess one thing I am concerned about is going to the surgeon and them telling me that I need more than what I was consulted with online. I am blond (brownish blond) and my hair is very similar to my skin tone. I have a lot of hair everywhere but my hairline. My hair is also wavy which helps.

I guess one thing I am concerned about is going to the surgeon and them telling me that I need more than what I was consulted with online.

That is the risk with any online consultation. For this reason, among others, it's important to do a few in-person consults too.

If all the in-person consults are saying one thing, and the online consults another, I'd base my decision upon the in-person consult.

Good luck.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

I've had 4 in person consultations, each one told me 1800-2200 grafts. Both of my online consultations with Rahal and H&W have been 3,000. I have a few more online consultations I am waiting for.

Corvettester, can you message me your email and I will forward you some of my pics?

If not, that's cool. I would just like someone's opinion who is also in my situation.

-Joshua

I've had 4 in person consultations, each one told me 1800-2200 grafts. Both of my online consultations with Rahal and H&W have been 3,000. I have a few more online consultations I am waiting for.

Josh,

I PM'd you my contact info.

Apropos H&W and Rahal's estimation, bear in mind that they are generally considered the most aggressive docs in the industry, but in a good way.:) I consulted with H&W and Rahal too. Their graft estimates were among the highest I received.

Who were the other four docs that you did the in-person consultations with?

Since there was a consensus in the four in-person consultations, I think it's fair to conclude that you need a minimum of 1,800 and a maximum of 3,000. The conservative docs will shoot for one stand-alone procedure of 1,800-2,000 grafts with the possibility that you'll have to come back if it's not dense enough for your liking.

H&W or Rahal will try to accomplish it all in one session via a larger procedure.

This is where you have to decide for yourself whether to go conservative or aggressive. There really is no right answer as you may be happy with only 1,800 grafts, or you may not, and therefore have to go back for a second procedure.

I don't know who the other 4 clinics were that you consulted with, but H&W and Rahal are excellent at what they do, just as I imagine the other four clinics are excellent at what they do.

So now you have to consider the advantages and disadvantages, or rather the benefits and risks, of going conservative or aggressive. I'd suggest speaking to several members and asking them how they came to their decision and then deciding which is right for you...

I imagine that your decision-making matrix will look something like this:

Conservative:

Benefit: Save Donor, Higher Potential Yield. Less Trauma.

Risk: Not enough density in one pass. Possibly have to return for second procedure.

Aggressive:

Benefit: Sufficient density in one procedure.

Risk: Potentially lower yield. More trauma to scalp. Must shave recipient area.

I'd be sure to always have your donor supply in the back of you mind because hair loss is progressive and you won't want to be bald at age 38 anymore than you will at age 28...

How is it by the way? What did the docs quote your donor supply at?

Corvettester

• 9 months later...

Covetsetter, I have an upcoming appointment with True. I really liked what they did with you. I notice you didn't have to shave the front of your head. That obviously allowed you to cover the work up. Am I correct in thinking that not everyone needs to shave the front of their head during the work?