Minoxidil For Hair Regrowth?

Boba909

Hi guys, I'm 21 years old and in the last 2 years, I have noticed hair thinning on the top and front of my hair. I went to see a tricologist and she confirmed that DHT was affecting some of the follicles. Moreover, both my grandparents were bald and my dad and older brother (30) are on Rogaine too because they noticed hair thinning as well.

My Goal:

- Stop hair loss and maintain current hair

- Regrow hair

With my 2 goals above, I have decided to buy Kirkland minoxidil 5% but was wondering if it would work for regrowing hair and not just stopping hair loss? I don't think my hairline is receding, just that my top & front are thinning, that's all. I don't want to get on Propecia because of the side effects of it.

Thanks guys :D

Guest Ian512017155

I use 5% MINOXIDIL labled as minoxidilmax, they sell it on ebay and have a website. Its in the spray form and drys really fast. Its about $19.00 a bottle and works very well regrowing hair, even in the hairline for me. I was using Dr Lees minoxidil but since he was shutdown I found this to be just as good.

Boba909,

It's important to understand how Rogaine (minoxidil) treats hair loss in comparison to Propecia (finasteride). Minoxidil has no effect on DHT. It is a vasodilator: which is to say that is causes a widening of the blood vessels. The resulting increased blood flow is believed to increase the diameter of miniaturized hair follicles while also prolonging the anagen or growth phase. If it works for you it may improve your overall hair density. However, any hairs that are genetically susceptible to the effects of DHT will continue to be under a full assault.

Propecia works by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT. The reduction in the presence of DHT in the scalp may slow the progression of balding and allow weak and miniaturized hairs to regrow stronger and fuller.

Most experts agree that the best medical hair loss treatment currently available for men with androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) is a combination of minoxidil and finasteride. Many men also add Nizoral shampoo to their treatment regimen. Nizoral contains the active ingredient ketoconazole which may serve as a mild DHT blocker. All of these treatments typically work better in the crown than the hairline.

The decision to take finasteride is a personal one. But, in my opinion, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least try it. According to studies, sexual side effects occur in fewer than 2% of men. If you do experience adverse side effects, they should diminish upon discontinuation of the drug.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

If I had the choice I would definitely pick Finasteride over Minoxidil, but it's best to use both as they work well together. Minoxidil helps hair regrow but Finasteride goes to the root of the problem by blocking around 2/3 of the serum DHT in your system, the androgen responsible for hairloss. Minoxidil helps the hair follicle receive better blood flow but it's still getting attacked by DHT unless you use Finasteride.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Great info Dave and RCWest!

RCWest, did you get any side effects from Proscar?

Also, what generic brand of Finasteride do you guys recommend? Can I find generic Finasteride in pharmacies or OTC like Costco, Walmart, etc?

Edited by Boba909