Very Concerned at 3 1/2 Months

Three and a half months ago I went in for a FUT procedure totaling 2100 grafts. My grafts were placed to fill in my receding hairline, temporal recessions, and temporal points. At around the one month mark the majority of the grafts had fallen out, however quite a good percentage remained in place and are still there as I write this. The grafts that never fell out are still short, coarse, and stubbly, essentially never grew and are just as they were the day of surgery. . Anyway, I'm going to call Monday and schedule an appointment with my surgeon. Has anyone heard of or experienced this? My god, I can't believe that I am that guy.

Edited by KGP11

KGP11,

Welcome! In my opinion, you've got nothing to worry about at this time. It is not unusual for some of the transplanted hairs to remain after surgery. Sometimes these hairs continue to grow immediately while others have reported that the hairs lie dormant for a period of time before once again starting to grow.

At 3.5 months, you are smack dab in the middle of the growth period. You should begin seeing new hair growth around this time.

It's always a good idea to follow up with your hair restoration surgeon when you've got questions but my advice is to remain calm and see what the next two to four weeks bring.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Dude, you are 3 months post-op, you'll be ok. Take a look at the difference between my 3 month and 5 month pics. Huge difference. No need to get nervous at this point.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thank you guys for your postitive words of advice, I really appreciate the support. I know that it's still very early on in the whole scheme of things, but I have ready many many posts prior to my transplant and to this day I have never heard of hairs not falling out and then failing to grow at all by the 3 month stage. I guess you could say that my entire hairline is randomly littered with coarse grafted stubbles, and no these are not new growth. I will hold off on scheduling an appointment for now, instead I will just sit back and wait patiently for my follicles to take shape, fingers crossed. If anyone has knowledge of a similar case that turned out well in the end please let me know. Thanks again

Edited by KGP11