Minoxidil Use Post-Op FUT

Hi all,

I have two questions. Dr. Madhu suggests using Minoxidil after day 8 or 10 I believe post-op. He also advises on using coconut oil 1 hour prior to washing your hair for the first few days.

1) Any thoughts on coconut oil?

2) I was just wondering if there were any studies done on Minoxidil use post-HT (FUT). Dr. Madhu advises using it after day 8-10. Dr. Bernstein's site has mentioned that it can be used after a week, but says that if it causes irritation that it can disturb the grafts and I read a few posts (not sure if they are from credible sources) that Minoxidil use post-op can encourage and can result in better yield.

What are your guys' thoughts on both of these? I am still within my first 10 days Post-Op so I really want to do whatever I can on my end to ensure that my little buddies (grafts) are comfortable and happy so that they come back for good and are strong and healthy.

Edited by Vinny1980
Adjusted Question

Ive had several consults with coalition doctors...some say use rogaine as early as 3 days post op..some say wait 14 days post op..all of the doctors I have spoken with recommend using it though..AND THEY ALL HAVE OUTSTANDING RESULTS! I think its just a matter of preference from your doctor. Ive never heard of the cocunut oil, Ive heard of vitamin e oil but not cocunut..again I think its best to follow your doctors instructions!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

IMHO, the real key in using any minoxidil based product is to be sure that one's epidermis (outer scalp layer) is completely healed before applying the product.

I believe that is why a larger opinion supports the idea of waiting two weeks. The healing process varies between patients however at two weeks post-op, the recipient area should be healed for most individuals.

Take a moment and read the "inactive ingredients" on the product labeling of these minoxidil based products. Let's take Rogaine Foam for example which many guys are using. Take a quick inventory of just the "alchohol related" items and then tell me who in the world would want that saturating any of their open wounds (recipient incisions) post-op.

The numerous alchohol contents can potentially thin the "clotting" that has just taken place in the last 72 hours. It is the "clotting" of the blood that holds the grafts in place once inserted into the recipient sites. Ask any experienced surgical tech about having the dreadful experience of a patient having grafts popping back out during the placement process. It is almost always attributable to thin blood not coagulating properly to hold the grafts in place. My point is that alchohol thins blood. BTW, if any patient has his/her grafts popping back out, it is very possible that the individual was out the night prior, drinking/celebrating OR possibly the individual forgot to stop their blood thinning meds. Patients should have pre-op instructions as well as post-op instructions IMHO.

Back to the main issue here. The use of minoxidil in the recipient area post-op is considered to facilitate the growing phase. In other words, some patients feel that their regrowth is quicker as a result of using minoxidil post-op. I used it in my last two procedures and did not feel it made any difference.

I also am leary of patients using minoxidil in the recipient area, "when they have existing hair to begin with". In other words, could any existing hair be shocked out as a result of applying minoxidil to the recipient area post-op? Some are of the opinion that applying minoxidil to the recipient area post-op can help to "deter" or "prevent" shockloss.

People respond differently to these meds. I wish there were more ongoing studies taking place. We do know there are a number of things that can cause/promote/trigger shockloss or a temporary shedding. Trauma and various meds are just some of them.

I may be getting a bit off subject here..

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY