Best doctor at DONOR SELECTION???

We all have research, studied, and analyzed surgeons for their expertise with FU placement, artistic creation of hairline, density, overall coverage, and even crown work. But one aspect of HT that is not given enough attention toward-- in my opinion, is the art of donor selection. Selecting donor FU with the attention placed on survival (best donor area) and future hairloss.

I've seen many patient scars from highly recommended surgeons on this site that looks like they have had donor taken too high or to far above the ear and too foward past the ears. This is a concern later in life and an area of HT that needs to just as perfected as the actual placement of FU.

You do not want 50% of the grafts placed to fallout in 10 years because the removal was an area of donor that wasnt quite in the "permanent" zone.

There are a lot of talented surgeons that are more focused with getting as much donor extracted regardless of the "zone" aspects, so that they can focus thier expertise in placement. Surgeons need to analyze, select, and extract your donor with the same degree and expertise as they use in placement.

That said, in your HT experience and research, who do you believe has the best analysis and donor selection?

We all have research, studied, and analyzed surgeons for their expertise with FU placement, artistic creation of hairline, density, overall coverage, and even crown work. But one aspect of HT that is not given enough attention toward-- in my opinion, is the art of donor selection. Selecting donor FU with the attention placed on survival (best donor area) and future hairloss.

I've seen many patient scars from highly recommended surgeons on this site that looks like they have had donor taken too high or to far above the ear and too foward past the ears. This is a concern later in life and an area of HT that needs to just as perfected as the actual placement of FU.

You do not want 50% of the grafts placed to fallout in 10 years because the removal was an area of donor that wasnt quite in the "permanent" zone.

There are a lot of talented surgeons that are more focused with getting as much donor extracted regardless of the "zone" aspects, so that they can focus thier expertise in placement. Surgeons need to analyze, select, and extract your donor with the same degree and expertise as they use in placement.

That said, in your HT experience and research, who do you believe has the best analysis and donor selection?

This is another one of those tough biased opinion posts....

I did do some research on many doctors prior to deciding to go with Dr. Epstein in Miami. All of the doctors I looked into all had great before and after photos and client testimonials. For me it came down to location as a major factor. I live here in Miami so for me that was one of many factorss in my decision.

I think that Jeff did a great job with not only the selection of the donor area but as well as the placement of the grafts. My hair is filling in nicely and I am not embaressed to leave my house without a ball cap!

I like Arfy's statement and Im gonna use it as well... Take that for what it's worth...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I can't tell you about other docs because I haven't had surgeries with others, but I had an HT on September 30th, with Dr. Katz of Philly, PA. I attached a picture of my donor scar at 3 months. Personally, I am impressed with it as it is virtually undetectable (other than a bit of redness yet to disappear). This is a picture after I got my hair cut with a one clip, even at the scar.

Bill

Copy_of_scarback.JPG

• 1 month later...

That's a pretty good looking scar Bill. Good donor closure. How many grafts?

My own case is not anywhere as good. DeYarman must have been having a bad day when he closed me up. It's obvious from my day of surgery pictures. I've got a 0.1" (2.5mm) scar down the whole suture line. There is an additional region of no hair above and below the scar that I hope will grow back.

Your scar looks pretty good Bill. How many grafts did you get?

My results were not anywhere as good as yours. DeYarman must have been having a bad day when he did my donor closure. My scar is 0.1" (2.5mm) down the entire length of the suture line. Not first class work. Additionally there is a region of no hair growth above and below it adding to the effect. I hope it will grow back. I'm also still completely numb in the back of my head after 12 weeks. FYI, 1620

grafts.

Week9-0012LR2.JPG.37774c595c716e49c58e960187c67a9e.JPG