My BF is going bald :(

Katie, Sorry you feel you've had a negative experience here. Please understand the forum members were just trying to help out and not be negative just for the sake of it. Many of us here have been recipients of bad work and the reason we give such advice is to help others from making the same mistakes. Hope everything works out for your BF. Good luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hi Katie,

Sorry about your negative experience here thus far; I don't think people mean to be that way but after being on these forums a while you discover the good and bad sides of hair transplantation and people are just concerned for your boyfriend and his long-term well being and appearance.

We're all glad your boyfriend is happy with his HT and hope he regains the confidence he desired regarding his appearance, but the concerns many people raised were legitimate. A really reputable doctor should not really have let your boyfriend have a HT as he is very young and already clearly noticeably balding. These are indicators that by the time he is older - maybe 30, 40 or 50, he could have severe loss. That could mean a Norwood 6 or 7, which is a lot of hair to have lost and not really enough donor hair left to fill in all the blanks.

Another thing that concerned me was that you said the doctor put your boyfriend's hairline "back where it was". I don't know where your boyfriends hairline was, but I assume you mean near enough how it was when he was juvenile. This is a very risky path to take - the vast majority of doctors will transplant a more "mature" hairline as it reduces the amount of donor hair needed for the procedure and the amount of space left to fill in if there is further balding.

Since your boyfriend has had his procedure done now we can only go forward from that point, so there is little reason for us to continue listing reasons why it was inadvisable. There is, of course, a chance that this may all turn out exactly as you have hoped and 20 years down the line he and you will still be very happy with the decision - but we have all been on these forums too long to believe happy endings are commonplace in cases similar to this. That having been said, everybody here is on "your side", so to speak. But the number one rule of a HT is to research, research, research and bide your time. People on these forums are just disappointed to see another risky case being undertaken by a doctor whose credentials are not the highest.

If you can get your boyfriend to post on here that would be a really big help for him, I feel. I know these forums have not seemed the kindest place to you, but advice is always impartial and if people think you have made a mistake, they will feel duty bound to be honest about that. They will also always be duty bound to help you as much as possible and always on hand to let you know about what can be done in the future if you decide to consider further procedures or have any concerns and questions about hairloss and your options.

I hope your boyfriend's procedure grows out successfully and gives him the results he wants - but having read through this thread I do urge him and you to read and understand more about what might be in your future. It gives nobody pleasure to be pessimistic about life changing decisions for other people, but there are potential problems and pitfalls that he faces in the future and this is amongst the best places on the web to discuss them and weigh up options. You might not always like what you read, but you can nearly always rely on it.

Best of luck and thanks for sharing your story - your boyfriend is lucky to have such a supportive and enthusiastic girlfriend in yourself!

Katie,

I'm glad to hear that your boyfriend's experience with Dr. Martinick went well. I haven't seen any work from her in a long time and thus, I'd be very interested in your boyfriend sharing his experience and photos with the community.

Note that the results from hair transplant surgery takes up to a year to grow in and fully mature. Thus, I suggest your boyfriend take monthly photos to monitor/measure his progress and share them with the community. He can start his own topic on this forum to share his experience/photos or he can create his very own patient website.

Best wishes,

Bill