Post op - massage on scalp / scar

Today I am 6 weeks post op (HT#2, 2100 FUT, Ziering). Went to the clinic (local to me) to get some recipient area pimples checked out. The nurse removed some ingrown hair from the scar area as well and some random scabs here and there from the recipient area. Everything is coming along great so far.

I have been using bio oil as recommended by Dr Ziering so far for the scar. One thing which was new to me today is that the nurse (she is very experienced btw 10+ years assisting HTs) recommended massaging the scalp as well the scar area periodically to improve circulation and promote body's natural healing. Now anyways I massage my scalp every once in a while when it itches but this would mean doing it actively and regularly. She said it will not cause any stretching this far post op.

What do you guys think? any experiences to share?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks -- it does sound a little non-conventional, but I asked another general physician (not related to HT at all) and he said for any typical scar from an injury or surgery, a little masage does not cause stretching. He did qualify it by saying that the skin laxity and tendency to stretch is different in different parts of the body and may cause different results.

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

Interesting subject, I will not massage my scar even gently unless instructed to do so by my surgeon. However, my daughter had a mole removed from between her eyes about 4 years ago by a plastic surgeon. When he took the sutures out, he stated to gently massage it everyday as it would promote healing and leave less of a scar??? I wonder

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

The term "massage" is open to interpretation and I can envision a lot of people doing it wrong. About the most I would do to increase circulation would be to press/release on the area with my fingers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog