Wait for Fin to start working before taking Minoxidil?

jerdacuttupman

Hi, I would like to get some advice with regards to taking finasteride and minoxidil together. I am 22 and have been taking finasteride for almost 2 months. I have noticed no effect yet, and am still shedding dozens of hairs a day. I know this isn't enough time to properly judge if it is working, and I will continue to take it for at least a year. I am considering adding Minoxidil to my regime, as I feel like I might as well try everything to try and hold on to what I have left. Is it advisable to start Minoxidil while potentially still going through the initial propecia shed? Will the combination of propecia shed and minoxidil shed completely destroy my hair? And finally is it worth waiting to see if propecia starts working, that way I can know for sure what is helping, or is it better to start both while I still have some hair? Thanks in advance

I do think staggering them can be a good idea if you really want to know how effective each med is for you. If you start up both at once, gauging the effectiveness of each drug individually would not be possible. If one isn't effective you would then be taking it needlessly. Would also make it easier to isolate the cause of some side effects, if they were to occur. On the flip side, it's the most aggressive approach and both are part of a best practice regimen. As far is i know there is no medical reason to stagger them.

Edited by Sigildark

• 11 months later...

I have a similar question. This is my 4th week on Finpecia. I used minoxidil initially for 1 week but later on quit as it is quite messy and made my hair look even more thin.

Off late I have observed my frontal hair line is thinning and I believe the initial shed has started. My question is-

1) Do I start Minoxidil at this moment when the initial shed due to propecia has begin. I know it would be tough on me since the shed would be on the higher side owing to use of both Propecia and Minoxidil.

2) Secondly, does Minoxidil causes shedding of native hair (hair that is not affected by DHT) or it affects only the sick miniaturized hair due to DHT.

I have a similar question. This is my 4th week on Finpecia. I used minoxidil initially for 1 week but later on quit as it is quite messy and made my hair look even more thin.

Off late I have observed my frontal hair line is thinning and I believe the initial shed has started. My question is-

1) Do I start Minoxidil at this moment when the initial shed due to propecia has begin. I know it would be tough on me since the shed would be on the higher side owing to use of both Propecia and Minoxidil.

2) Secondly, does Minoxidil causes shedding of native hair (hair that is not affected by DHT) or it affects only the sick miniaturized hair due to DHT.

1)Ultimately I think it makes no difference at what time in your hair cycle you choose to take them, other than a long term positive!

2)It affects all hair which is why they state on the packaging that you may notice slightly more shedding in the 1st couple of months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day