Shock Loss

Hi everyone,

I recently joined this site and have found it quite informative.

Earlier today I scheduled myself for a hair transplant for next month. I am excited and nervous!! My biggest fear is shock loss. Has anyone here experienced it? just how bad can it get?? I was told only about 10%-20% of people experience it after surgery.

Ant advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. I have talked with my doctor and while he has answered any questions I have asked him, it isn't the same as talking with multiple people who have gone through what I am about to go through. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!! :)

Shock loss is always a possibility when transplanting hair into an area where you still have pre-existing hair. You can never predict when it is going to happen. If it does happen the hair will grow back in most patients, so please don't let that worry you. If shock loss happened and did not grow back that would be a negitive gain after a procedure and if that was the case nobody would be getting a transplant. If you do experience shock loss it will usually start to grow back about 12 weeks post-op. Good luck with your procedure.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Stuart,

Thank you for the advice and support!

Spex,

Thank you for the link with all the information!! I am still scared about it, but I still think it is worth a chance.....

Prepare for the worst my friend check my website photos in link below I've gone through shockloss from hell and I'm just starting to regrow 3 months after ht. Grow your sides and back long as scar shockloss is common too as I have a had.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Bonkerstonker,

I did look at your website and that is what I am terrified of happening. I mean no offense towards you, but the shock loss is what is making 2nd guess my decision. If you had it to do over again would you?

I also noticed that you had over double the amount of graphs that I will be receiving.

My hair is shoulder length right now, so that should cover the donor incision/scar.

At times I think I can live with my thinning hair, that it is no big deal, then all I have to do is look in a mirror and I don't like what I see. Or I go to the store and see women with a full head of hair or look at pictures of myself and I get depressed.

I don't know if I am overreacting over something that may not even happen....

Im very mentally strong so i can handle the misery now by looking at the long term picture. I was assured by dr hasson shockloss would only be temporary, i believe and trust him so the decision was easy.

As you can see I had plenty of hair before that I had saved and regrown with meds but I was sick of styling it perfect and making sure it was perfectly placed so people would never have a chance of seeing it week which obviously meant I couldn't sleep at my girlfriends house or go away or let anyone scruff it up. In the end after ten years of hastle it did my head in so I decided to go for the jackpot ht.

Scar shockloss is a total pain so defo grow it and be prepared to hide from friends for 6 months or so just incase u get it bad Like me but I would imagine the smaller the ht the lesser chance of shockloss. Start wearing a baseball cap around friends before you're ht so it's not a shock when people see you wearing one after.

Shockloss is shockloss you can't make a omelette without breaking eggs just make sure it's a good chef that makes your omelette or you'll end up with egg on your face.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I have researched my doctor and he is recommended on this site, has done plenty of segments on local news stations and is recommended my multiple organizations, so I am hopeful he knows what he is doing.

I recently lost my job, so I don't have to worry about going out too much. If and when I do, I guess if need be I would wear a baseball hat. =)

By the way, thank you for taking the time to talk with me about this. I appreciate it. =)

I just realised you're a girl lol. Change your picture to something overly Girly so people understand you're female straight away.

With you being female you don't have the extra burden of dht bullying your hair follicles at the same time as the scalp trauma from the operation. Taking into the size of your op and your sex I'd say you'd be fine you will not get shockloss like me as my hair has been under dht strain for eleven years. Personally if I was you I'd get a wig just incase. There's some amazing female wigs and if you're uncomfortable with it on just avoid friends for 6 months.

You're welcome we're all one happy family here with a common enemy. If this site recommends your surgeon then he will defo be trust worthy but I personally only use the best as they're prices are usually the same as ordinary surgreons. geography should never be a issue with hair transplants go where ever you have to. For me best surgeons are Hasson and Wong, Rahal and Feller I would not use anyone else but that's just me.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

There's lots of regular posters on here that have seen hundreds of transplants unfold on forums so if you post some pictures I'm sure people will tell you if you need a ht and roughly how many grafts you'll need.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

LOL...I thought my picture of flowers was girly, but I will change it to something that yells girly.lol

As for the DHT, I have been told I have male pattern baldness (go figure), so DHT is my enemy as well. lol

I plan on avoiding people for 6 months or so. I can't wear wig, doesn't seem like it would be comfortable, especially in the summer months. Too hot!

Where are your surgeons located? My doctor is Dr. Haber.

Most people on here are men so you got to have something like you've got if you don't have a obvious girl alias name.

I have no idea how a girl could have mpb the clue is in the term male pattern baldness lol. I think that must be a mistake but spex who posted in this thread would know about it if it existed as he is extremely knowledgable and has many hundreds of patients in person. I'll have a look at your pictures when I'm near a computer I'm on iPhone now. Hasson and Wong are in Canada I am in England. They've been the leading surgeons for many years and most of of the other top surgeons admit they have learnt a lot from Hasson and Wong and use their ideas and tools.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

With respect shockloss won't be much of a problem to you because most of the hair has virtually gone in the thinning area anyway. It's not likely to spread out side ways towards your ears it's usually just in the area you have work done so it's all upwards for you it's likely to change your life.

The result depends a lot on your hair and how coarse it is. I'd say you'd need 3500 grafts for a good job.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Hi,

It is androgenetic alopecia...sorry. lol

Good, I'm glad to hear that! I was picturing most of the hair on top of my head falling out!!

I hope it changes my life for the better!!

He said I would also need a 2nd HT to include an additional 2500 graphs for the crown area, but I wouldn't have that done for another yr or so...that's if I find a job and can afford it. lol

Oh yes I heard of that it's called aga in women and yes dht is present in women with that. Something to do with high levels of alpha 5 enzyme I think.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Dear KM77,

During a hair transplant surgery many tiny receptor site incisions are made. This results in an inflammatory process that is a normal physiologic response of the body. The shock loss is usually the natural population hair going into the resting phase in response to the "surgical trauma".

This should be a temporary condition as bonkerstocker mentioned and it is expected that the resting phase hair will resume growth as the newly transplanted hair will.

This temporary situation is one of the negatives that you must consider so you can make an informed consent decision. Remember the bigger picture and hopefully, short term growing pain to achieve the desired result.

Personally, the end result has been worth the short term unpleasantness of the net loss of hair immediately following the surgery.

Best of health.

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

Well said!

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Rich,

Thank you! I am still going through with it, praying that everything works out. I just keep telling myself that the end result will be worth it all....I am praying that is the case. =)

KM,

Prayers are always encouraged and we are hoping that you receive every follicular blessing coming your way.

You have done your due diligence. You have selected a physician that you feel comfortable with. Enjoy the proactive decision you've made and initial steps on your journey. There are a few possible minor bumps in the road in the beginning, but it is well worth it!

Please keep us posted. We're rootin' for ya!

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"