double and triple hairs in graft

Not familiar with what you are reading. A FUHT moves hair in their natural hair groupings whether they are singles, twos, three's, whatever.

Yes at times multiple hair FUs need tyo be dissected to create single hair grafts, especially when creating/building a new hairline.

But it's the hair follicles that really get transplanted. If you transplant three hair follicles into an area, three hairs should emerege once they cycle through.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

JS,

Like Gillenator said, follicular units naturally occur in single, double, or triplet groupings (in most cases) and this is how they grown when implanted. However, sometimes clinics will "split" larger grafts to make single units for hairline refinement.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

JS,

Like Gillenator said, follicular units naturally occur in single, double, or triplet groupings (in most cases) and this is how they grown when implanted. However, sometimes clinics will "split" larger grafts to make single units for hairline refinement.

If any surgeon split my grafts for anything i'd be pissed! I don't think a graft should ever be split as it's survival depends on the little parts contained in a graft like the sebaceous gland!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

No what i was reading is when 2 and 3 hair grafts are transplanted they grow as singles 1st than mature into 2and 3 hair grafts, my question is how long does that take?

I think your misinformed mate.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

If any surgeon split my grafts for anything i'd be pissed! I don't think a graft should ever be split as it's survival depends on the little parts contained in a graft like the sebaceous gland!

The ideal is not to break up any FU at all, however it's the patients who are restoring a hairline and need the single hair grafts to build it. There may not be enough naturally ocurring single hair grafts within the strip that is excised and so the need to create the "singles" exist.

Techs who are extremely experienced in microscopic dissection can seperate those FUs where each hair within the FU have adequate spacing to seperate them. Transection can be minimized in the right hands. A good tech would not attempt this on those FUs that cannot be seperated, nor would good reputable docs like the ones recommended within this community allow that to happen within their respective ORs.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Like Gillenator said, ideally, grafts wouldn't be split, but it's not an uncommon practice if more single follicular unit grafts are needed to properly and naturally restore a hairline.

Additionally, a good technician should be able to properly dissect the graft, and as long as a follicle itself is left intact, the sebaceous gland associated with the follicle itself shouldn't be affected (at least as far as I understand the anatomy/physiology).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm aware of what you're saying but I'd like to see a hairline made with split grafts. I reckon most of the grafts wouldn't grow.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

No what i was reading is when 2 and 3 hair grafts are transplanted they grow as singles 1st than mature into 2and 3 hair grafts, my question is how long does that take?

Could you link us to the article or say where you read it? This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I'm aware of what you're saying but I'd like to see a hairline made with split grafts. I reckon most of the grafts wouldn't grow.

bonkers,

Actually, most of them do grow when they are properly prepared by competent techs. I would never mention that if it was not so. There is no reason the hair should not grow as long as it was not transected.

Also, a good clinic would only use the dissected singles as additional grafts. They would not be used exclusively as the primary grafts to commence and start the hairline. The hairline is commenced with singles in a slighty staggered design and placement, and will not appear natural if not. Double and triple hair grafts are situated behind the starting point. That is the general idea.

IMHO, after observing literally thousands of patient examples over the past 31 years, it is the "angulation and artistic placement" in the design that counts. That is what "makes or breaks" the visual impact when it grows out and the level of naturalness achieved.

Gillenator

The artical i was reading said during a hair transplant when grafts containing multiple hairs are placed they start to grow as singles hairs and later start to grow as multiple hairs as they were when removed. does that make sense?

The artical i was reading said during a hair transplant when grafts containing multiple hairs are placed they start to grow as singles hairs and later start to grow as multiple hairs as they were when removed. does that make sense?

kathie47 was asking for the exact "link" that we can read for ourselves. :rolleyes:

Gillenator

Ok gill I take your word for it mate.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bonkers, you're a good guy and have noticed you're a real help to many within this community. That's why I wanted you to know because I have witnessed it many times including it done on my own hairline before.

Gillenator

Cheers bud it's always good for me to learn more, we need all the info we can find for the battle against hairloss but if i was told by anyone other than someone of your experiance i wouldn't of believed them.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Well thank you for the kind words, that certainly humbles me.

Glad we can exchange information because hairloss can be a challenge to deal with!

Gillenator