Finasteride-associated cataract and intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome.

Swimmy

J Cataract Refract Surg. 2011 May 7. [Epub ahead of print]

Finasteride-associated cataract and intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome.

Wong AC, Mak ST.

From the Department of Ophthalmology (Wong), Union Hospital, and the Department of Ophthalmology (Mak), Caritas Medical Centre, Hong Kong.

A 47-year-old man who had been using finasteride for male pattern alopecia for 4 years complained of progressive bilateral blurring of vision. His general health had been good, and he was not on any other long-term medication. Examination showed bilateral anterior subcapsular cataracts. Phacoemulsification and insertion of intraocular lenses were performed, and both eyes showed features of intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome (IFIS), including undulation and billowing of the iris, iris prolapse, and pupil constriction. We believe the use of finasteride can be associated with cataract formation and IFIS. Ophthalmologists and physicians prescribing finasteride should be aware of this possible association. FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Neither author has a financial or proprietary interest in any material or method mentioned.

Interesting..First time I heard of this.

seems to me this drug is not worth the risk esp when i get clicking joints like a man of 80 makes my joints feel like there about to pop out of place also my girlfriend says i now get up and get out the car like an old man im only 34 all down to fin and its long list of dodgy sides

seems to me this drug is not worth the risk esp when i get clicking joints like a man of 80 makes my joints feel like there about to pop out of place also my girlfriend says i now get up and get out the car like an old man im only 34 all down to fin and its long list of dodgy sides

Perhaps you should stay on prepcia and start taking things to counteract the side effects. Things like broccoli.