please someone help me,i'm freaking out and desperate.

hello everyone,

I've been using propecia for 1.5 years and minoxidil for 10 month until 2 weeks ago. I stopped using propecia (for economical issues) but continiued on minoxidil(but not regularly) and I am only using minoxidil in my temples. The thing is I started loosing all I have in temples in two weeks like crazy. I don't have any pictures but I know that my temples are significantly shed.(I am buzzing my hair so I can clearly see the difference).So I started using propecia immidiately.

Also I started taking some SSRI 's a month ago. I used Anafranil and Ludiomil for 2 weeks, then cymbalta now for a week. I read that Anafranil and Ludiomil causes hairloss as a side effect. Now I'm still using cymbalta.

My questions are;

-Is this could be seasonal shedding or from the SSRI?

-Has anyone else experienced hair loss from antidepressants or anyone experienced this kind of "shock loss"?

-When I started using minoxidil unregularly, may I be interrupted all the treatment and started the growth cycle all over again? Or is there anyone who experienced a loss between 10-12 months??

-I have anxiety disorder and highly agoraphopia and these symtoms started last year because of my obsession about my hairloss. Now I'm in a nightmare and I can't go out. I thought I won but now I'm at the deep bottom.

Please, I'm begging you guys someone please encourage me or tell me something to get my hair back because it all happened in 2 weeks and I can't believe it. Please.

Edited by azazelgs

Hi,

You may want to check on prices for generic version of Proscar - Finasteride 5mg. It's much more economical than Propecia. Check with your physician if he/she feels comfortable prescribing it to you.

As for shockloss due to anti-depressents, you'll have to read each medicatio to its side effect and possibly switch if you can. Have you gone over this with your doctor doing the prescribing?

Hi,

You may want to check on prices for generic version of Proscar - Finasteride 5mg. It's much more economical than Propecia. Check with your physician if he/she feels comfortable prescribing it to you.

As for shockloss due to anti-depressents, you'll have to read each medicatio to its side effect and possibly switch if you can. Have you gone over this with your doctor doing the prescribing?

No I haven't because I am too embarred to talk about it. I read that Anafranil and Ludiomil are nearly 20 year-old drugs so the side effects can be seen more often. So I switched to cymbalta.

My main concern is to gain what i have before this shock loss and i really don't know whether it has caused by quitting propecia (i started again by the way), SSRI, seasonal shedding or non stable use of minoxidil.

I am saying to everyone on this forum,please i am very desperate. I feel like I lost my everything, my self confidence is down right now. I would appriciate everyone with honest and encouraging answers, please.

Hi

You should go go see your doctor as they'll be able to let you know if the excessive hair loss is due to the meds.

I echo the sentiments re the generic finasteride. I get a 4 month supply for ?4 thru my doctor, whereas proscar is about ?30 a month........

The appropriate person to talk about this is with a physcian, which you say you are too embarrassed to talk to. Majority of us here are not qualified to respond to you in the manner a doctor can. Of course we can encourage you and support you but a physcian can help you the most.

Hairloss affects millions from all walks of life. You shouldn't be embarassed talking to a physician about it. Chances are they themselves are experiencing some form of hairloss. It's difficult to say if its seasonal or what is causing sudden loss of your hair in the last two weeks. Being off Propecia for two weeks shouldn't cause shock loss. I do know that stress itself can cause hair loss so hopefully you can find a resolution without surrounding yourself with stress.

azazelgs,

You've received the best advice you can get from any discussion forum. You must speak to your physician. In my opinion, the hair loss you have experienced is most likely due to stopping finasteride or a side effect of taking anti-depressants. I believe it's very unlikely to be caused by seasonal shedding or inconsistent use of minoxidil. However, you won't know until you consult with your doctor.

I can also echo what' been said about generic Proscar. My last prescription cost me $4 for 30 pills which I quarter and take three days per week. That's nearly a year's supply for $4!!!

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website