What Do You Consider A Successful HT?

What do you considered to be a successful HT?

Anything above a 90% yield? Or is it more realistic to say anything above 80%? Or even lower? Or is yield irrelevant, and only the cosmetic appearance the true measure?

Also, what would you consider to be a "less than optimal" yield versus an outright failure?

I'm asking because when I see a definite cosmetic improvement, I cannot consider an HT a failure; however, I can appreciate that there are several variables involved at rating such a thing. For example, personally I would consider less than 50% yield to be a failure; but what if NW4 took an aggressive approach and had a 5,500 graft FUT, but only 2,500 grew in. Even though the yield was low, the person gained a decent amount of hair and it still ended up being a cosmetic improvement... would you consider that a failure or less than optimal?

Also, what if your HT result varies. For example, what if your frontal third develops well, but your temple points don't grow at all? Or if your crown comes out beautiful, but your frontal third and hairline does not? Or the right temples have significantly less growth than the left temples?

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

There is no reason any decent surgeon can't accomplish a 95+ percent yield with natural results. Of course it's hard to keep track of every single graft.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think that a good cosmetic result would be the most important factor in considering whether a procedure was a success or not, as well as the patient's (realistic) goals having been met.

It could be said that if a patient expects to achieve a certain amount of coverage and density based on viewing other cases with very similar characteristics, but the result doesn't match his expectations or the predicted outcome, then that wouldn't be considered a full success even if the procedure has resulted in a significant cosmetic improvement.

Edited by mattj

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

So at the very least, I guess it's safe to say that if the cosmetic result is minimal and the graft yield minimal, then the procedure is ultimately a failure... even if the patient has some growth and looks somewhat better.

Clearly, if it looks bad or worse than before, then it's a failure. But what about when there is some yield and some cosmetic improvement?

I mean, if a NW5 was going for 5,500 grafts FUT, and only 2,500 yielded and yielded well, then he would have both a minimal cosmetic improvement, and a 45% yield. However, even though he looked better than before, his HT is still basically a failure. It's definitely less than optimal, but it doesn't have to be bad to be a failure, if I understand correctly.

I'm just trying to develop a clear, definitive concept of what a failure is compared to a success. It's easy to see when an HT is a success, but the grey area of "less than optimal" and outright failure is a more nebulous... at the end of the day, I guess it's just up to the patient to decide.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I think failure and success is a subjective thing so what is deemed a failure/success for one person may be complete different for another person. It all depends on expectations.

For myself, cosmetic improvement is the most important. I knew which areas of my hairline I wanted to fill in and after 12-18 months, if it doesnt look good (either due to poor yield or density), then I would deem it a failure.

With that said, i'm in the situation where i'm 5.5 months and although i've had excellent growth along the hairline, the corners are still a little see-through from the side (looks like someone with diffused thinning). It looks great when I look straight into the mirror, just not so when i look at a mirror on the side (reflecting against another mirror if that makes sense). This area was completely bald before so there is definately growth there (again, looks like diffused thinning), just not yet enough to blend into the temples. Its easy to get impatient and discouraged and the only thing that is keeping me sane is the reminder to myself that I am still early (there is growth and the hair is still fine so they should thicken up) and that I can feel a fair bit of stubbles with my fingers so I am assuming/hoping there is more to come

Edited by synz4
Spelling/Grammar