Is MSM a blood thinner?

I've been taking MSM for about a year (2000mg in the morning, 2000mg at night). It's definitely thickened my hair shafts as well as sped up the growth rate. One big question:

Does MSM thin the blood? My HT is on May 20th with Dr. Arocha, and I certainly don't want to make his job more difficult by taking any potential blood thinners.

If so, I'll quit right away, and resume it post-op.

Thanks!

Hello MarkyGras,

We are excited and looking forward to working with you. Please do not hesitate to call our office directly

toll free 888-723-4247! Thank you for posting such a relevant and important topic! There is one study that suggest that MSM is safe for up to 12 weeks. I do not know how safe it is for longer term use. It presumably works by providing sulfur. With regards substances that should be avoided prior to surgery to minimize bleeding, here is a list compiled from the textbook by Drs. Unger and Shapiro and myself:

HERBS, SUPPLEMENTS, AND VITAMINS THAT CAN POTENTIALLY INCREASE BLEEDING.

ANGELICA ROOT ARNICA FLOWER ANISE ASAFETIDA

BOGBEAN BORAGE SEED OIL BROMELAIN CAPSICUM

CELERY CHAMOMILE CLOVE ALCOHOL COENZYME Q10 Creatine

DANSHEN DEVIL’S CLAW DONG QUAI

FENUGREEK FEVERFEW FLAXSEED LUCID

GANODERMA GARLIC GINGER GUGGUL

GINKGO BILOBA GINSENG GREEN TEA ONION

HORSE CHESNUT ICORICE ROOT LOVAGE ROOT PAPAIN

MAGNESIUM MEADOWSWEET PAPAW PARSLEY

PASSION FLOWER HERB POPLAR QUASSIA

QUININE RED CLOVER SAW PALMETTO RUE

SWEET CLOVER TURMERIC UMBELLIFERAE VIT. E

WILLOW BARK SZECHUAN PEPPER PLANT BARK

Topical Rogaine

I appreciate your kind consideration and insightful precaution in preparation for your upcoming day. It is very difficult to accomplish a densely packed hairline and mega session hair restoration when a patient presents with thin blood. So I applaud you and every single patient who follows the provided preoperative instructions carefully. I would also add to avoid aspirin for at least 10 prior, other NSAID s or 3 days prior.

To build up your coagulation factors eat plenty of greens, as much raw as possible, spinach, kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, or liver. Stop Rogaine ,exercise and alcohol consumption 5 days before. If you follow these carefully your hair restoration surgeon will be very happy, as he will have a very clean surgical field, and what's most important you will have a far easier day. I find that patients that bleed a lot also metabolize their local anesthetic much more rapidly. This will prolong the day and increase the level of discomfort needlessly.

Google "supplements and medications that thin the blood". You will have endless lists of things to avoid!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D