Let's build the ultimate Pre/Post-op Supplement Plan!

Hi all,

I’ve scheduled my HT for May 20th. I’m looking to take the right combination of supplements for the best results/healing after the procedure (and potentially ward off shock-loss). Here’s my gameplan so far:

Daily routine 2 and 3 weeks before HT

Normal 1mg Propecia each morning

3,000 mg Vitamin C

1 tablet “Make Me Heal” pre-op vitamin

1000 mg Vitamin K (as per doctor’s instructions)

500 mg Biotin

500 mg Vitamin D

500 mg Zinc

4,000 mg MSM (2k in morning, 2k at night)

5mg Silicon/Collagen liquid (by Biosil)

One week before HT

Same as previous, but includes:

Arnica Montana (30c) couple of times per day

Day of HT

Just my morning Propecia

Next Day to 1 week Post-HT

1mg Propecia

4,000 mg Vitamin C

1 tablet of “Make Me Heal” post-op vitamin

1,000 mg Vitamin E

Not sure of amount, but plenty of Omega 3’s

500 mg Vitamin D

500 mg Zinc

500 mg Biotin

4,000 mg MSM

5mg Biosil silicon/collagen

Arnica Montana (30c)

500mg Bromelain

Throw Tumeric in a lot of my foods (it’s tasteless, so shouldn’t be a problem)

Sulfate-free shampoo at first, then Graphcyte shampoo/conditioners.

Drink lots of green tea

Apply aloe vera gel if it doesn't interfere with the graphcyte products

2 and 3 weeks Post-HT

Similar to previous, but back to 1x a day Propecia

No more Arnica Montana, and just 500 mg Vitamin E

The Graphcyte shampoos and conditioners.

Drink lots of green tea

After 3 full weeks Post-HT

Back to normal (nothing special, just daily multi, propecia, and MSM)

My normal Tricomin shampoo & conditioner (with Nizoral every 3 days)

So that’s my current gameplan. What should be added? Anything removed?

My doc gave me a list of things to avoid, and it included Arnica Flower. Does that include Arnica Montana?

He also (surprisingly) included magnesium on that list. The multi that I’ll be taking will include that. Does magnesium really thin the blood, or should I not worry about that?

I have no interest in taking herbal remedies on a normal basis – but post-HT, do you think it’d be worthwhile to use saw palmetto, nettle, etc to help prevent shock-loss?

I’ll also be using the Graphcyte kit, which includes a copper peptide spray.

Thanks for all of your input!

Edited by MarkyGras

That looks to be a nice thorough list. I'm glad your doctor is aware of the slowed bleeding properties of Vitamin K. I will probably need it also whenever I go in.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Blimey, that's a lot of supps! Just remember to eat food though as well, yeah?;)

If you're itching for something else to add, I know of many who swear by bromelain to help with swelling and inflammation. Whereas ibuprofen is generally discouraged due its blood-thinning actions, bromelain should be fine. Something to consider to pre-empt the day two+ post-op swelling perhaps.

Best of luck, by the way. You certainly have a thoroughly gameplan set out, so more power to you.

The Make Me Heal vitamins contain bromelain, but what the heck - I'll edit this onto the list too.

Yeah, those people at the Vitamin Shoppe are gonna be all smiles when I leave that store this weekend.

So again, I've got those questions? Do you think arnica montana and magnesium are okay?

Also, should it really be a big deal taking 2mg of Fin per day for two weeks? I mean, it's not long term or anything...

Edited by MarkyGras

So again, I've got those questions? Do you think arnica montana and magnesium are okay?

Also, should it really be a big deal taking 2mg of Fin per day for two weeks? I mean, it's not long term or anything...

Arnica is particularly popular among people who want to reduce their bruising post-surgery. Whilst HT might not incur bruising in the traditional sense, there will be discoloration of the scalp in the recipient area. Will it work? Possibly, and it's something I'll be considering myself when I have HT in June.

Magnesium - beyond including it in a multi-vitamin regime...no idea.

I personally wouldn't be playing with my fin dose as part of my recovery regime. Experimentation with vitamins, herbal and homeopathic supps is one thing; hormone-altering compounds with known side affects is another.

If you're desperate to alter the dose, you could always cut 5mg pills into quarters (so you get 1.25mg instead of 1mg) to give you a little bit of a increase. But yeah, doubling the dose of fin is not something I'd recommend myself. I'm no doctor, but - like whisky - I treat finasteride with restraint and respect to get the best out of it.

Two questions:

1. Why green tea over white tea? White tea has more antioxidants and tastes much nicer (or less awful!).:P

2. Are you also considering something like Bio-Oil (commonly used to improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and dry skin) to rub into the recipient area after a couple of weeks to keep the area moisturised and help reduce discoloration?

Green tea's a known blood thinner, and has been shown to improve bloodflow. I haven't read up as much about white tea. There's also some internet postings about green tea being a dht inhibitor, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Basically just trying to increase blood circulation for healing.

I haven't read anything about Bio-Oil - I'll have to research it a little. Thanks for the post!

Like I've been told everytime before back surgery- 1 week prior- no Aspirin, Aleve, Vitamin E, and many other things. And about the 1 mg. twice a day Finasteride-studies show that there is very very little difference between 1 mg and 5 mg for hair loss, so I think 1 mg twice a day for the post op period is just wasting your medication.

Edited by RCWest

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Okay, okay, I'll hold back on the 2x finasteride.

Wow, it's May 1st! Only 19 days until the big day!

Another quick question - was anyone taking arnica montana before the surgery? Should I hold off on taking any until I leave the doctor's office on the day of the HT?

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update on supplement effectiveness! The whole point of the supplements was to reduce swelling, reduce the redness/inflamation once the scabs are gone, and to give the recipient area the nutrients it needs for thicker/healthier hair.

My FUT was last Friday, six days ago. I stuck to the regimin in my first post, and the swelling only lasted 4 days, and then was gone. I'm very happy with how quickly swelling went down - I can wear a hat at normal size with no problems now. I don't know what role the arnica or bromelain may have played, but the results are there.

Next up is the redness - I still have darkened scabs all over the recipient area. I have a feeling those will be gone after the next few showers. I'll be applying aloe vera gel to this area afterwards (I'd been applying graftcyte blue spray previously).

Marky I don't remember if I've said this before, but Spex recommends Witch Hazel for redness. Also, Bromelain is actually used in meat tenderizers. It's derived from pineapples. I never knew it was an anti inflammatory!

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily