LIFE OF A HAIR TRANSPLANT IS 5 YEARS MAXIMUM???

bllorayne,

he said they are not successful and the life span of transplanted hair is 5 years maximum.

Don't get too disheartened, you have been on this site a while now; you know his statement isn't true.

bllorayne, i used to go a trichologist. They had something equivelant to lazer combs. I used to go once a week. Dropped alot of money there. I actually felt that i lost more hair there. they are not in the business of hts. Their business is to sell u their product. Hts are a competition to their businesss. I had an ht 10 years ago of only 1000 grafts. It still holding up. My hair is thinner now but nobody susspects i had and ht. I style my hair kerasome and for the most part it looks pretty good. I use rogaine and proscar to stabalize my loss.

Originally posted by bllorayne:

icon_frown.gifHello everyone,

i visited a trichologist and showed him my hairloss pattern.I asked him about hair transplants..he said they are not successful and the life span of transplanted hair is 5 years maximum.I request you all to leave a comment on this.Especially those guys who have had more than 1 hair transplant and are successful in keeping those hair.thanks.

NO I AM JUST TELLING YOU THE STANDARD OF DOCTORS AND TRICHOLOGISTS WE HAVE IN INDIA.

Trichologists can be very knowledgable. However, when they are not affiliated with a hair restoration clinic they tend to say negative things about hair transplantation. If they are telling you things that have been proven not to be true, I would have some serious concerns about the integrity of the clinic. Doctors should be honest and discuss all the options the patient has even if they do not offer some these options.

• 3 years later...
Hi Dr. Glenn Charles, I respect your opinion, but you didn't mention if it was true or not? Is there a shorter life expectancy for transplanted hair? Thanks

He answered your question:

when they are not affiliated with a hair restoration clinic they tend to say negative things about hair transplantation. If they are telling you things that have been proven not to be true, I would have some serious concerns about the integrity of the clinic

Cliffnotes= there isn't any know lifespan for transplanted hair.

yeah, I know : ). But my HT did last 5 years. But it was a glorious 5 years.

So you know it was your native hair and not your transplanted hair? Why did you post that then?

Sometimes I think people just wanna ruin hope for others even if they have to make s*** up....

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Your kind of a dick arn't ya?

If you are a NW 3 or 4, and you have a HT, fine your probably good. If you are prone to go beyond that, a HT will last you about 5 years, and you will need another.

Anyone getting a HT should understand that your $10k is not the end. In 5 years, you will need another. That if you are a NW 5 and want to look like a poster child for a clinic, you will spend about 30k when its all said and done, and you STILL will be masking your hairloss. And that's if everything goes your way.. maybe the grafts just don't take one surgery. Or maybe despite going with a top doc, you have big scar for unknown reasons.

No amount of money, or sugenon will make your hair go back to its former youthful glory. It's not physically possible.

I am no way anti HT, I just believe in the best possible education and presenting the most honest and real expectations, so someone can make the bestest possible choice for them. To many people say I wish I never had a HT, and with a board like this out there to educate, that should never ever happen

To many people say I wish I never had a HT, and with a board like this out there to educate, that should never ever happen

I agree. I think BrianR didn't really understand your post. My opinion is that it's good to hear the truth from people with experience like you. The positive and the negative are both equally important. We're all here to learn. Thanks.

When you say I'm kinda of a dick, what kinda of a dick are you fantasizing I am? Lol, ok back to the conversation.. I'm sorry, to me since we were talking about the life span of a transplanted hair. I just figured when you said, yours lasted five years you meant, your transplanted hair.

Edited by BrianR

I am at 4.5 years and still holding strong.

I'm only at 2.5 but holding 100% strong, barring a moderate amount of original hair gradually thinnning around the frontal hairline (only because Fin can't help that area). However, the frontal third of my scalp is pretty much covered with grafts at this point. Only my obsessive need for perfection is driving me to get a second HT in a month in order to thicken up and ever-so-slightly lower my hairline, but I know it's going to look amazing in 6-8 months. I can't wait.

In total, I've probably blown well over $30,000 on idiotic crap throughout my young adult working life. Partying and booze, lots of expensive car modifications to a now-broken-down old car, dumb products I didn't really need, at one point I had a credit card with a $10,000 limit and its balance was over $100 over that limit (long-gone, thank god), plus all the interest paid on said card, and many other stupid things I wasted money on in youth that I have absolutely nothing to show for now.

The point is, if $30,000 of my money goes to the avoidance of going bald over the next 8 to 10 years, then fine; at least I'll be able to look in the mirror and see real, permanent results that I can be happy with for years and years to come, unlike most of my previous fun/luxury expenditures. Investing in yourself (and later in life, your kids I suppose) is generally never a bad investment.

[P.S.] - The people who told you that most HT's are ineffective and only last for 5 years are a bunch of blatant liars, or simply morons. They are lying to you in order to scare you into using their stupid useless bullsh!t product that doesn't work. Fin is the only way to stop your hair from falling out, Rogaine might help a little but it also breeds dependency so it's like crack for your hair, and HT's are really the only way to restore your hair. Do not waste your money on anything else. Get on Finasteride and look into an HT with a Coalition-approved HT doc. You won't regret it, and ultimately you'll probably spend about the same amount of money (except with the Fin/HT route, you will actually have hair at the end of it all, along with your dignity).

NO I AM JUST TELLING YOU THE STANDARD OF DOCTORS AND TRICHOLOGISTS WE HAVE IN INDIA.

Hello Bllorayne,

This is a very inaccurate statement. The cornerstone of HT is that donor hairs from he permanent zone of the scalp (the back and sides of the head where hair follicles are not susceptible to the adverse effects of DHT). Transplanted scalp hair usually last the lifetime of the person when done by the top HT surgeons.

These doctors and their teams transplant a high percentage of grafts to recipient bald areas. Meaning the grafts are not damaged during the procedure yielding great results. Beware of doctors who give false and misleading information. Hope this helps, All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum