Final HT questions for everyone...

zo1279

Hey Everyone,

I have definitely narrowed it down to 2 surgeon's (both in NY) with the help of everyone here and my consultations with them. I am a Norwood 3 with hairline issues...I use Toppik which allows me to leave the house and works well I think but when i come out of the shower i am like OH MAN! It literally scares me to see my head without concealer...hence why i want to get a HT now to start fixing it. I have a few questions still lingering that perhaps you can all help me with:

1. I was told to get on Propecia- Now...for one should i take propecia and wait to see what it may do for me before I get a HT? Is this what most of you do? Or should i just take it simultaneously with a HT? Please advise...I am gathering that since my hairline is the main cause for concern it won't truly help. Another question about Propecia...when everyone says they see some growth...does this mean actual new hairs or just that their existing hair is getting stronger? Because I have coverage on my crown and top of my head (just not great in hairline)...but I feel they seem to be not as dense as they used to be...so by going on Propecia does this strengthen them back to the way they used to be? Or does it just hold them in place and not to fall out? what have your experiences been?

2. The scaring-FUT- I usually like to get a haircut every week if I can to just clean up the sides to usually like a 3 clip. In regards to the scar...would it show through on a 3 on the sides? Please advise as to what is the lowest clip you guys go to without it being noticeable.

Thanks in advance everyone for helping me make a better decision!

Concerning your questions...

You don't have to take meds. Personally, I'm against it if at all possible. I didn't start medication. For me, meds are a last resort. Only if I were to have continued seeing significant loss, would I have even considered it.

However, almost everyone on HTN will suggest starting medications... and with good reason. You'll see a lot of success stories here. So it's really up to you. But it's generally recommended to at least give them a chance.

As for the scar, it's a nonissue for me. I can't even find it, but then again my hair is longer than a #3. However, I often hear other members discussing it and, depending upon your hair characteristics, there seems to be a concensus that #3 is typically the minimum needed to completely conceal the scar... although, I've seen plenty of guys get by on a #2!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

zo1279,

It is often recommended that patients start Propecia (finasteride) 6 months to a year prior to surgery. If it works well for you you may find that you require fewer grafts. Of course, as you have already pointed out, you are concerned only with your hairline and Propecia will probably not do much to restore that area. However, I do recommend starting it. It may dramatically slow the progression of your hair loss and also increase density.

Propecia can bring miniaturized hair that is about to be lost for good back to life. They can become thicker in diameter and darker.

After my first transplant I could buzz down to a #3 clip with no sign of the scar. I have not tried this since my second hair transplant simply because I prefer my hair longer and I no longer have to wear it so short. I recently cut it down with a #4 and the scar is perfectly hidden.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Propecia doesn't or very rarely works in the hairline, so you should start Propecia and at the same time you can get transplants in the hairline and frontal 1/3 without wondering if the medication would have helped. It for sure works in the crown and vertex. A pic would help the forum help you out more. Some people get a good response to minoxidil also.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D