Early Hair Loss

(Look for pictures on my profile, I"m not sure how to add them)

Hey everyone,

I am very new to the hairloss community. Recently, within the last 18months I have been receding in the temples. Since I am only 19 years old, I want to bite this thing in the butt before it completely destroys my self-esteem.

Recently, I have met with a local dermatologist and she had recommended using rogaine for 6 months on the temples. After 6 months, she said to re-evaluate the situation and get on Propecia if needed. Currenty, I am just finishing my 1st month and have noticed no change.

One of my questions is what should I expect from these two products? With Rogain, should i expect to see any regrowth? Or will it most likely halter the hair loss situation? (I realize that results vary with the individual, but I am just curious what my expectations are). Also, if i do go on Propecia, what should my reasons for goin on the perscription be? Should I go on Propecia if I don't experience any change with my temples at all? Or is no change a good thing (meaning, that Rogaine has haltered the hair loss temporarily?)

If either of these products halter my hair loss within the next couple of years, I would LOVE to fill in my temples surgically. Would FUE or Strip be a good choice? I have no idea to be honest, but I have seen such great results in the hairline with Doctors like Armani, Feller, and Rahal and it gets me so excited.

Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated guys. Like I said, remember that I'm only 19 years old, but I hope that early action will lead to better results in the future?

Thanks again,

cperry23j

Edited by cperry23jd

Ok, where to begin.....

First, you have great hair. I know your only 19 and its all relative but believe me that most would kill for your hair. My brother receeded somewhat like you when he was 19 and then it stopped in his 20s and he had no further loss (He is 40 now). In fact, he has very thick hair. Some men just get their "Mature" hairline sooner than others and may not mean that you are balding. Stay on the Rogain not just in the temples but apply it at the first sign of thinning elsewhere (Especially on the crown). But if your only seeing the temples thinning now, only apply it there. Rogain is mainly good for retention rather than regrowth but the sooner you get on it in terms of age and hairloss, the better chance that it will work. Personally, if I were you, I would not get on propecia until I saw signs of thinning elsewhere (Even mild). It is very effective in young people with mild loss but it if you are of the mindset of many which is "First, do no evil", I would keep off an Rx lifetime med until I had to get on it but again, dont get on it too late either.

As for a HT, no reputible doctor will work on you at 19. You are far to young and you need to give nature time to let you know what your dealing with. Filling your temples now, when you have a nice far forward center hairline, would commit you to a relatively low lifetime hairline which will be a big no no if you are unlucky enough to eventually develope agressive hairloss. Looking at your family history may help give you a clue.

Good luck.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it. Here's my situation.

In terms of my family history, both of my Grandpa's were completely bald. My dad and his brother are bald as well. I'm talking Norwood 5A to Norwood 6. My brother is currently 25 and I would say he's a Norwood 2.5 right now (well on his way to following the family history pattern). So it is safe to say that this is most definitely the early stages of hair loss and not just a mature hairline developing.

As for the meds, yeah I would agree with you that Propecia shouldn't be used until there are signs of thinning elsewhere. From what I understand, Propecia works best with thinning hair and not recession. I honestly don't want to go on Propecia due to the fact that it is so expensive and it is a lifetime commitment. However, I am not a doctor. (sidenote: is there a way to take minoxidil by pill form? I hate that stupid foam stuff)

Lastly, the hair transplant is something I was talking about for the future. I very well know that any reputable doctor would not be foolish enough to operate on someone of my age and standing. However, what about if in 4 years or so, the Rogaine has done a decent job at halting the balding and I want my hair line lowered. Would there be anything wrong with that? My girlfriend’s father has a perfect head of hair and he is 48! His hair line is better than mine and he looks great. He's never had anything done to his hair at all and the low hair line doesn't appear awkward by any means. If I were to get my hairline lowered, let's say 5 years from now do you see anything wrong with that?

I’ve seen too many times where people wait way too long to get any type of surgery done and the results turn out less than desirable. However, there are many people who have restored their hair completely with a low and straight hairline approach, who look great regardless of their age. Armani is a prime example of great looking hairlines. It’s just something that’s been bugging me quite a bit because I am the first of all my friends to experience the balding process. I know that I have to keep my expectations realistic, but when I see results from patients that restore their straight hairline, I often get jealous.

I appreciate the comments ‘Cant Decide’, let me know what you think

Thanks, cperry23j

If you get a HT too early, you risk further loss and having a really strange hairline. So in 5+ years, you could look into getting your hairline lowered, but 24 is still very young and your recession may not be stabilized, so you might want to wait more than five years.