Terrified of Finasteride Proscar (1.25mg) Side Effects . . .

amff

Hi Everyone -

I am a 28 year old male who has never taken any medication in my life, and in good shape. I noticed crown hair thinning in 2008, and read a lot about Minoxidil and Finasteride, but took a while before starting either. I have been using Minoxidil 5% for 17 months - saw results, but then took a break last year and had extreme shedding so started back again for the past 7 months.

After having an unfilled prescription finally started taking 1.25mg of Merck Proscar per day yesterday. I took so long to fill the script because I was terrified of the side effects. Hoping to hear people's realistic experiences with 1.25mg per day and the timeline of expected side effects if any. As well as the results you seen or problems you have experienced.

Looking for honest and open responses.

Thanks in advance!

amff

Edited by amff
DELETE

Hello dude. How much dosage are you taking? 1.25mg?

I take 1mg finasteride. I didn't experience reduction in libido but did experience some shedding for maybe 4-6 months.

A friend did experience a problem in the trousers department. So depends on the person I guess.

I have seen improvements in the crown but nothing in the hairline

Hey Dutch -

I just started yesterday and took the 5mg Proscar Pill - divided it in 4 to be 1.25mg and will take one per day. I don't think there is a huge difference between 1mg and 1.25mg, but am scared of some of the effects so thought I would ask around here.

My main problem is a thinning crown so hoping it helps.

How long have you been taking 1mg Finasteride for?

amff

Hi Everyone -

I am a 28 year old male that after having an unfilled prescription finally started taking 1.25mg of Merck Proscar per day yesterday. I took so long to fill the script because I was terrified of the side effects. Hoping to hear people's realistic experiences with 1.25mg per day and the timeline of expected side effects if any.

If you could help me understand:

1. How long have you been on the medication?

2. What side effects did you experience?

3. How long does it take for expected side effects to subside if you had them?

4. Have you tested or heard if they are reversible?

5. Results of the medication (ie - hair growth)

Current Regime:

- Minoxidil 5% (Started Jan 2010)

- Finasteride (Proscar) 2.5mg (April 2011)

- Herbal: Vitamin B, Saw Palmetto, Eve.Primose Oil, Omega 3

Hairloss Summary:

- Noticed crown thinning November 2008.

- Minoxidil 5% since January 2009.

- Proscar 1.25mg since April 2011.

- Nizoral, Nioxin System 2, Herbal since 2009.

Thanks in advance!

amff

I tell this to most all the guys who feel the way you do because, let's face it, 99.9% of the guys who fear fin side effects have not yet experienced any major cosmetically significant balding.

There is a terror of a much greater magnitude than what you are feeling, and that is looking in the mirror one day and seeing an old man when you really are 15-20 years younger than you look.

MPB is a ruthless demonic vampire whose single goal is to finish you off; and it WILL finish you off without taking the finasteride -- it's really that simple my friend !!

Hi EpilepticSkeptic -

Thanks for your note! You hit the nail on the head, I haven't experienced significant balding at this point - but do have thinning in the crown.

Just so I am understanding your note clearly - are you saying you think I should continue with the Fin 1.25mg daily dosage in addition to my Minoxidil treatment or are you saying I am better to just let nature take it's course and go bald?

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

amff

Hey Dutch -

I just started yesterday and took the 5mg Proscar Pill - divided it in 4 to be 1.25mg and will take one per day. I don't think there is a huge difference between 1mg and 1.25mg, but am scared of some of the effects so thought I would ask around here.

My main problem is a thinning crown so hoping it helps.

How long have you been taking 1mg Finasteride for?

amff

Hello pal, only just seen your question to me, been on propecia for about 3 years. No side effects & all this time I've always managed to perform. I would've definitely stopped if I was embarrassed in front of a woman! The morning erection is usually there as well

I have never experienced any side effects in 5 years of using Finasteride. I didn't experience a noticeable shed either, but that's a normal 'semi side-effect' of use.

Of those who do experience libido problems, they are often minor with the patient happily continuing with treatment. If the effects are intolerable, full recovery within a couple of weeks or so is the norm from what I've heard over the years.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com