First HR 3/29/11 Flaking scalp and shedding please tell me this is normal.

I am brand new to the network and have to say that this is a great forum for information, personal storys and overall Knowledge about hair loss and options.

This site has helped me to research and make my decision in having my surgery.

As many newbies I am very concerned about results and overall post care.

I had the sugery on 3/29/11 a little over 3000 grafts.

I was pretty content with my hair situation prior to sugery but through the past 10 years have been thinning and new it would just be a matter of time. So it more to prevent any furher noticable loss and rebuild the front of my hairline the Dr. said I chose a pretty consevative hair line but I was surprised with the number of grafts he suggessted. he suggested 2200-2500 but said the final amout was alittle over 3000 grafts. But how do I really know..lol

I have pretty thick wavy hair so that helped comoflouge the loss. the worst was my recedding hairline.

Ok so to my point, It has been approximatly 12 day since the surgery which went really smooth and ver comfortable to my surprise, But just today my scalp started to get really dry and I have a lot of heavy flaking. I have followed the post op instuctions to the T and have shampooed very delicately once a day.

Today I feel like i want scratch my scalp aggressivly and remove all the flaking with my fingers . Im just concerned of damaging the folicules or the scalp. At this point I have not shed any of the implanted hairs and have no scabing or blood spots at all but I noticed some shedding from my original hair which the Dr. told me may happen from shock.

My question is this normal has anybody experianced this is there something I should do to help the flaking and shock shedding?

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated even just on the topic of HR. And expectations timellines what ever...

I realize ever one has differnt experiances and storys but just want some comfort..

Thank you for reading and for any responses

1 mg propecia , biotin, and washing with baby shampoo

any other suggestions?

Edited by e321x

E,

Frankly, it doesn't sound like anything too out of the ordinary to me. By day 7, the grafts should be fully "anchored" and you shouldn't need to worry about losing any grafts through activities like gently washing your hair.

As far as the itching is concerned, it's something that seems pretty common, and is usually something associated with post-operative recovery from medical procedures, and restraining from the norm of scratching your scalp, washing your hair (normally), etc. Although it's probably not something to be too alarmed about, I would personally contact your hair transplant clinic, and double check with them. It's great that you're following the post-operative instructions, and this should help ensure that they can offer accurate advice and that you're doing exactly what you should be.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the response....

I took your advise and spoke with my Dr. he agrees with you and says this is all pretty normal . Im just so paronoid and want to make sure I do everything to ensure the best possible results..

With the shock lossof my non implanted hair being kind of extreme I have concerns Of looking worse than pre op.

Do you have any suggestions, regimines, suppliments that might help speed up recovery , slow and or stop shock loss of my non implanted hair? Will it grow back?:confused:

I wear my hair kind of long ,and have been wearing a hat which I find so ignoring. I will have the stitches removed this monday 4/11/11 and was thinking of buzzing my hair down to one legnth like on a #4 or 5 do you think this is long enought to cover the scar and perhaps help growth ?;)

Im just so anxious and filled with questions and concerns but have faith I made the right decsion, now I just want to make sure Im doing my part and then some to ensure the best results possible.

Im very appreciative there is a forum where I can express my concerns and get experianced and knowledgable advise and answers.

Even though I discuss my concerns with my Dr. and am confident in him and his staff. It is especially comforting, to get honest feed back from people like your self who have no attachment to my case or interest intelling me what I want to hear.

So I give my most sincere thanks to you and this network,

E321x

Thanks...

I never liked using rogain but has anyone had experiance with it slowing down or stopping shock loss of non transplaned hair? The transplanted hair has not shed infact it has grown a little. Im about 14 days post ... What should I expect.

At this point I feel Im losing to much and will try anything to prevent or change the situation...

I had a pretty full looking head of hair prior to surgery well at least it looked like it because my hair is thick, wavy and some what curely.

Now Im feel more self conscious than before.

I feel there is something that I can do to help the situation maybe up my dse of propecia?

Anyone have any suggestions or vodoo...lol