PSA - Beware Generic Proscar

Jotronic

I don't believe this. I buy generic here without a prescription it's only about 1 dollar a pill here http://best-preparation-online.com/ and it seems to be full strength as my local pharmacy.

Believing it is one thing. Whether or not it is the truth is another. If you don't believe it then continue with the generic that you feel is just as good. I'm sure it could be as many times it is but make no mistake about it, generics are not required to actually be the same thing as the original therefore they are not always as strong or as effective as the original.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

I've been using generic finasteride for 2 months from Wal Mart, and the manufacturer is Camber. I started early in the loss process, but have noticed continued shedding/thinning, and no other side effects.

Would it benefit me to stick with this for a while, or switch to brand Proscar for 2 months?

Worrying stuff.

Unfortunately Proscar is not available where I am, just generic versions.

I get Prostacom (Finasteride 5mg) straight from the pharmacy. Any info about this brand? Is it reliable enough?

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

• 1 year later...
I have taken propecia 1 mg for the last 4 years. Propecia is not generic Right?

It is the Real stuff isn't it?

Yes, Propecia is the name brand not generic.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Well this is good news for those who have suffered side effects while taking generic finasteride. Now you know that it is all in your head. Actually, sarcasm aside, I have been prescribing generic meds for years and have never noted any clinical difference in efficacy.

• 2 years later...
I think I've mentioned this before but I think it bears repeating.

I was just on the phone with a gentleman that wanted to speak to me after he submitted his virtual consultation. He had been taking Proscar 2.5mg daily for twelve years with great efficacy. However, he noted that the last 12 to 18 months of taking the medication saw a stark decline in it's effectiveness so his GP prescribed Avodart, which is turning things around for him.

We were discussing the issue of long term Proscar use and how so many people online talk about how the effects diminish. We agreed that most people tend to say that the drop off occurs after roughly 5 years of use. My thoughts were that this was greatly over exagerated and that while it is certainly possible I chalk it up more to urban myth due to many repeating the experiences of a few. We just don't really see this in our clinic with the tens of thousands of prescriptions we've written.

However, since the FDA cleared the way for legitimate generics we've had an alarming number of patients report that their hair loss has resumed even while on "finasteride". After investigating further these patients had switched to the "real" generics (not the generics found for years on the internet). We used to write prescriptions for "5mg finasteride" as this is how scripts needed to be written so that the patient gets Proscar and not Propecia (higher cost). The issue alarmed us to the point that we trashed our original scripts and reprinted scripts that indicate "Proscar, no generic substitutes". Since this change we have had reports from the same patients that were previously affected now saying that the loss has ceased and/or reversed itself.

The gentleman I first mentioned said that he too had switched to the generic about the same time that he noticed his hair falling out so he feels better knowing that most likely it was the generic not working as opposed to the medication simply "wearing off".

This is not to say that all generics are not as effective as name brand Proscar but with the relative low cost of Proscar it doesn't really make sense (to me anyway) to switch to generics. Consider this your Hairy PSA for the day:)

Jotronic ,

would like to respond here and at the same time ask a question if you dont mind .

Just hope this topic is still alive , I'll give it a try anyway.

I've been using proscar for many years now .

Started immediately after the FDA approval of the drug ,and when it was available in Europe , so that must be close to 20 years by now .

Initially , let's say after a week of use I went through a severe shedding , it lasted for several months.

Simultaneously my libido skyrocketed , probably my body reacted the way it suppose to .

I did read about the initial shedding so I was prepared .

I can say in all honestly the drug really , really worked for me . Hair was coming back on the vertex , and it was getting thicker all around. No influence on the front hairline though .

And when I started to use minoxidil 5% ( 5 years ago) I could wear my hair on my shoulders again , which I actually did .

Remember , we are talking about an age of 60 , yes .....60 years

I cut the proscar in quarters , so 1.25mg daily .Worked fine until I decided to switch to a generic , Teva in this case .

That started last year ( 2016) in April .

During that summer I noticed some shedding ( and libido rising !) , which I blamed on the high temperatures where we were staying for the whole summer. I thought a normal cycle .

You know , when it's warm every goes more energetic and I presumed also the hair cycles.

I had that much hair that in the beginning I didn't notice the extend of the shedding .

This summer , again 5 months of high temperatures , the phenomenon returned , but this time with a vengeance .

By the way , during the winter of 2016/2017 my hair count never recovered completely , so I came into this summer with an already thinned head of hair . And a suspicion something wasn't right !

Now the shedding is scary , and again my libido is abnormally high for a guy my age ,.....I guess :-) .

A few days ago I went to see my physician , asked him to take a blood sample and monday I'll know all about my testosteron AND DHT levels.

Not sure what to expect , I did increase my daily Teva some weeks ago to one third of a 5mg daily , some days even half of 5mg , knowing that a generic is allowed to deliver up 20% less finasteride of the branded Proscar .

So monday my DHT levels will tell if the Teva does what it's suppose to do .

If they're good , meaning low , then I'm stuck with a problem , but then again , maybe this shedding is caused by the high DHT attack months ago due to low grade finasteride and high testosteron because of the tropical climate we where in again for an extensive period.

As far as I know effected follicles go ' non active ' and the hair is ejected a few moths later.

After reading this warning , and getting the result of the blood analysis in a few days I will most likely switch back to Proscar .

My question is , should I do this cold turkey , or gradually take 1/3 of 5mg alternating days with Teva ( as a transition) so the shock isn't that brutal. Continue that for some months and then completely switch over to proscar again ?

I hope jotronic get's a email warning of my message and I wish he could give me some advise here , would be appreciated .

Thanks and regards