Thinner after HT

I just had a HT performed. (1325 grafts) I had a receding hairline and had my frontal area filled in. I had enough hair on the front to cover my HT scabs etc. I wanted more density because of how I was thinning. I am 5 days post op and look like my hair is way thinner than before the surgery. I also noticed in the mirror, after my shower, that a couple of the grafts look like they came out. There was no bleeding, just a white object with a hair and bulb. How soon can I stop worrying about losing grafts, and is this "overnight" thinning my imagination. My post op instructions indicated that in 7-10 days I could shower and wash like normal and massage the recipient area. Is this correct? Thanks, just a little nervous with what seems like a dramatic difference. I have been using minoxidil for about a year, and started on finasteride (generic) 1/2 tablet a day.

I don't think your hair is thinning. Its just that it won't look too good now considering what you've had done & you haven't been able to wash your hair properly.

Not sure about the couple of hairs you've seen fall out, hopefully it's nothing major but seeing the bulb white end isn't good. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Any pics? Who did the op?

Dr. Morse in Washington DC performed it. I felt really comfortable with the procedure, and felt I knew what to expect. I have only found 4 of what I believe are grafts. I didn't experience any type of bleeding from what I have heard described as a lost graft. I had no swelling, my donor site is healing great, and I don't have the scabbing that I have seen in alot of pictures. I just feel like my hair is thinner now on top. If I get a chance, I will post pics. I have never been much of a hat person, so wearing a hat will probably draw more attention than not. There isn't much visible except the front hairline where it recedes up. I had the procedure on Wed. the 30th, and am hoping to be able to wash my hair like normal this Friday and hopefully get rid of any remaining scabs. After how thin I feel now, I am really concerned abot shock loss in another month.

Thatsreality,

Usually by day 7, the grafts are anchored and you no longer need to worry about losing them. As far as your hair looking thinner after the surgery, I think this could be caused by a number of things - swelling in the scalp, seeing that portion of the scalp really exposed in a different light, focusing more attention on the area, etc.

Keep in mind that the hair transplant won't stop your hair loss from progressing, so there is a definite chance that you will need to monitor this area and consider preventive medications like Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil), but it does seem a bit unlikely that you've lost a significant amount since your procedure, or that you're suffering from any potential type of "shock loss" yet.

Altogether, I'd probably suggest monitoring the situation and possibly discussing it with your hair restoration surgeon when you go in for a check-up (if it's still concerning you).

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Guest jamesdweaver

Hair becoming finer may largely be illusionary caused largely by the scalp swelling up.

And yes, your post-op care instructions are correct. It takes between 7-10 days for the grafts to take root and after that, you can take care of them normally. I would definitely advise you to take up regular medication however, since even with the grafts, you'll lose hair at your normal rate. Medication may slow down this rate somewhat

Thanks for the replies. One more thing, is generic Finasteride just as effective as Propecia? My doctor told me to cut them in half. It is hard to believe that something that costs $10 for 90 days can be as effective as something that costs $200. Thoughts?

Thatsreality,

Yes, generic finasteride is just as effective as Propecia/Proscar as long as you are purchasing it from a reputable source like your local pharmacy. However, either your Dr. is mistaken or you misheard him. Generic finasteride here in the US is only available in a 5mg tablet. In order to approximate Propecia's 1mg you'll need to quarter the pill.

I've only ever used the generic and I'm quite happy with my results. The last time I purchased generic finasteride, I paid $4 for 30 pills. I'm quartering them and only taking them on MWF so I'd say I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

He did explain that they were 5 mg, but he said to take 1/2 tablet per day. He discussed how the finasteride is not spread evenly throughout the pill. From what I have been reading, the side effects may be more if I take 2.5 mg./day. Do you think I should cut back to 1/4 or start with the 1/2 and see what happens in 6-8 months, and then cut back? Thanks so much for your response.

Thatsreality,

Personally, I would not take 1/2. The dose is excessive and unnecessary to treat hair loss. In fact, I moved down to taking 1.25mg MWF with no noticeable increase in shedding.

At most, I would take 1/4 daily.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website