Is it worth it?

Hey everyone, first time post so am sorry if I make any forum faux pas.

I guess my question is really whether it would be worth ever considering a hair transplant?

The reason why I ask is that I'm a 21, caucasian male, dark hair and my receeding hairline has now progressed to Norwood II. I have tried Finasteride, however, the side effects were horrendous and it took 2 months to go back to 'normal'. Anyhow, I don't intend to use any DHT inhibitors in the future as I obviously don't get on with those bad boys and am sticking with Rogaine Foam 5% (which I've started to apply when wet to increase absorption, or so I've read) as well as Nizoral twice a week (my scalp can't manage anymore than that, which is wierd as my skin is very tolerant everywhere else). Although from what I've read (I amy be totally wrong on this, so please correct me if I am) these are the only drugs that can help retain hair long-term, in comparison to minoxidil etc.

I have been warned against using lasers for hair regrowth not because they cause skin cancer, but if skin cancer is already present the laser (due to it's effects on blood flow etc) can cause the cancer to grow. This is a significant problem for me as there is a very long history of skin cancer in my family and I have already had to have 5 biopsies starting from the age of 4 (the last biopsy showed that the the skin was ridden with abnornamlities and after another two excisions it was determined that the abnormal tissue below the surface was nearly twice the size of the original biopsy site). Basically I can't mess around with anything that could potentially cause any preexisting abnormalities to grow, however small the risk. Sorry if others disagree with this, but I'm listening to my consultant on this one.

Anyway, since using the Minoxidil I have had significant regrowth, which I'm really pleased about, but I'm not going to kid myself and think that it will continue working 10 years or more down the line. I really like the idea of FUE, but my main concern is that if I went ahead with the transplant that I would just loose all the hair after a couple of years. I've read that the hair on the back of the head (and certain parts of the sides) are somewhat resistant to DHT, so I apologise if this is a dumb question.

In a nutshell, I guess what I'm asking is whether it's worth having a hair transplant if you cannot take DHT blockers and the like.

Sorry for the absolute essay. Thanks for everyones help :)

Benji

Edited by MBP1989

Hey MPB--

I read your story and there's no doubt-- you are in a difficult situation.

You're only 21 and a Norwood II-- and Propecia is off the table.

My opinion is that a transplant at this time is NOT a good idea. You could fill in that receding hairline but you have no idea how much more hair you're going to lose behind it.

It may look good for a few years and then start to look odd as you lose the hair behind the transplants.

At that point, you're in the classic hair transplant trap-- you will be chasing your hairline with multiple procedures. You could easily end up with multiple scars, depleted donor supply, and an odd looking balding pattern.

Don't believe anyone who says a hair transplant for you now is "being pro-active" or that by having one you'll be "staying ahead of the game". It's a recipe for disaster.

You don't know at this point how far your hair loss will go. It may be that you're just getting your adult hairline and there will be some recession and it stops there. Or it could go further.

IMHO, a HT at this point with so many unknowns is just not worth the risk.

This is just me, but if I were you, I'd keep up with Rogaine and check in to available (proven) hair growth/ hair mait. products (vitamins, shampoos, etc.) Maybe they work, maybe the don't. But as you say, your options are limited.

It's tough, but a wait and see strategy coupled with a mait. regime is your best option right now. A HT should be off the table.

Just my view.

Hal

You should forget the laser for reasons other than possible deleterious health effects. They just haven't been proven to work.

The transplanted hair does come from the 'safe zone'. That doesn't mean that every transplanted follicle will continue producing hair for the rest of your life, because some men start to thin in this area as they get older, but the transplanted hair is essentially permanent.

Obviously not all NW2s are created equal, but your Norwood stage is very low and I doubt if it has impacted your appearance too badly.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

That's right pal, surgery is too early for you as per the advise given above. You'll need to see where you're heading with the loss first. You're very young for surgery. I was in the same boat, very young & receding & panicking.

Keep using the foam if it's working.

When you're about 25-27, then consider getting an op maybe.

For now, you can try to hide the corners with the existing hair.

Good luck

You can hide a very receeded hairline if you wear your bangs down. Kind of the way Charlie Sheen does. Since you are against using Finasteride, you would be chasing your tail with transplant surgeries if you went to fill in just the corners now. Stabilizing loss is the important thing to consider before getting a transplant.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

You can hide a very receeded hairline if you wear your bangs down. Kind of the way Charlie Sheen does. Since you are against using Finasteride, you would be chasing your tail with transplant surgeries if you went to fill in just the corners now. Stabilizing loss is the important thing to consider before getting a transplant.

I don't want to hijack MPB's thread, but Charlie Sheen wears a system.

He's has a very receded hairline with a fairly large middle patch. It's all shaved down. You see him with a Fedora on public outings a lot-- that's when he's not wearing his system.

In interviews, etc. he wears his system-- it's a piece.

(Link removed by moderator due to promotional content)

Hal

Edited by TakingThePlunge
Promotional content