Fue question about extraction

During an fue proceedure what happens to the graft's that break prior to being fully extracted. Do they come back or are they dead. Thank YOU

Edited by lex222

Lex,

If follicular unit grafts are damaged (whether damaged and left in the extraction zone or damaged, removed, and implanted in the scalp) they are unlikely to grow back. Technically, a lot of it likely depends on where they were damaged and how severely, but generally the hairs from the damaged graft do not grow.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

as they are being pulled out I am told many break ..I was told that they regrow because the root stayed in the head...not true I take it . thx

Edited by lex222

Lex,

Technically, a graft can be damaged at any part of the extraction, trimming (assuming they are trimmed before implantation in a follicular unit extraction procedure), or implantation, but the most frequent damage (from what I understand) is when the actual follicles are sliced or transsected and the graft essentially loses it's ability to grow hairs.

If, like you're saying, a graft simply wasn't cut deep enough and only the shaft (or possibly a small part of the inner portion of the follicle + the shaft) was removed and the follicle itself was left in the back of the scalp with zero to minimal damage, then it (theoretically) would still grow new hairs. However, I think that when follicles are damaged, it's more common for the damage to prevent new growth.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.