Had my HT - 2900 grafts

Hi all,

I had may HT day before yesterday - FUT around 2900 grafts. It went well and took over 11 hours to complete. The donor area is still sore. There is slight oozing from the right side of the recipient site. I am applying graftcyte spray every 20 minutes starting on the 3rd day.

So waiting for the painful first week to get over!

Well, I just wanted to upload a pre-op picture. I am still in the 3rd day after HT. So will upload the post-op pics soon.

I am into the 3rd day and my swelling has started. Slight swelling in the forehead. Any idea how long the swelling will last?

P3107678.jpg.d053e614a4a78ded5c4d15a8cad920c4.jpg

Smartguy, I'm right there with you in spirit, but about 10 days behind you in actual practice.

I go in about a week from tomorrow with the famous Dr. Ron Shapiro for a 4000 graft procedure.

It's your turn right now getting through the tough first week. But it will pass. Good luck and keep your eyes on the prize.

Hal

Thanks Smartguy, and the same to you.

Yeah, the anticipation is not exactly loads of fun is it?

But I believe it will all be worth it.

You choose the right doctor, learn what is possible and what to expect, and then make the decision.

What really puts my mind at ease is the thought that I have a virgin scalp and Ron Shapiro and his team will be working on me. Hard to go wrong there.

Good luck and please be sure to keep posting your progress. And by all means, if you have any tips to share during that tough post op first week or so, please share.

Hal

Hal,

Yes, from what I read in this forum, you can't go wrong with your doc. So you are in safe hands.

Well,on the day after the HT, I had booked the return flight back at noon. But when I got up in the morning I was still feeling dizzy due to medications and so I had to cancel the flight and took a later one. I went by myself and so I thought it was better not to take any risk.

Are you flying in? or driving?

I am flying home the next day after surgery.

Originally, my flight left Minneapolis at noon, which would have given me plenty of time to get up the next morning and get back to office for a quick check and a wash before heading to the airport.

However, the airline re-arranged the flight schedule and now I'm leaving at 9:30 a.m. that morning. I was notified of that a few weeks ago. It's a non stop flight back and there's no other one back on that airline before the evening. So I'm stuck with a mad scramble the day after surgery.

I chose the non stop so I can get home as soon as possible with minimum hassle. Obviously I'm going to be wearing a baseball cap and I didn't want to have to do that for 10+ hours while changing planes and dealing with airport crowds, etc. (I did buy an extra large oversized ball cap just to be safe).

I hope the meds don't knock me for a loop-- my main goal is to get back and hibernate for the next ten days before going back to work.

I've tried to anticipate things-- for instance: I wear crew neck t shirts but obviously you can't do that for at least a 5 or 6 days after the transplant because you don't want to drag a shirt over your head. So I bought some oversize tank tee's that you can get out off without pulling them over your head.But you know, I'm just not a tank top kind of guy:)

There's a whole bunch of stuff like that-- what challenges have you faced so far that you didn't think off prior?

Is your scalp still feeling tight?

Hal

I also took a non stop flight..and the only one i had was 9.30 pm the next day of surgery..I had to go to for that since I couldn't make the noon flight since I was dizzy...I guess that was because I didn't eat lunch properly on the day of HT.

Well, I carried button down shirts as they mentioned and I am used to wearing those..Since I was on pain killers,I didn't feel much pain. The only downside was the medicines knocked me off the morning after surgery as i mentioned before..

Tomorrow is the 5th day after HT and I am planning to go to work on 6th day..I know it may be a bit early..but all I do is sit in front of computer anyway in office..so I guess that is fine..Tomorrow planning to go out and but a hat or something similar to cover my head while I am in office..

My scalp is still feeling tight..even more than before.But no pain. Scalp is still numb. Today did shampoo again. but I will wait for a week and see how it goes..

Good luck for you again..Everything will go fine with you...Waiting for your own hair to grow back is an exciting feeling!