FUE taken from above safe doner

Hi im wondering as pictures i see of FUE is taken from the sides and back of head.

Now i see fue being taken from the back of head above the safe doner area and just below the vertex, now is this ok??

Because if its out of the safe zone(doner ares) it may thin out OR maybe thinning and miniturising a little already.

So my question is why do ht docs take/harvest from above the doner area? Are they not putting potentially going to die hair on another part of your head?

Maybe someone can explain this to me?

heres a link but check the back of the head on the bottom fue harvest pic

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159747-fue-performed-dr-feriduni-%96-2154-fu-single-day-session.html

Help to understand this would be great guys

Ocean,

Like you said, it's not preferable to remove follicular units (either via follicular unit transplantation or follicular unit extraction) from outside the universal safe zone because these hairs aren't as resistant to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and progressive hair loss.

In certain instances, physicians state that they are able to analyze the hair near the universal zone (but technically still outside) and determine whether or not it is suitable for extraction. For example, in a Norwood III patient looking to augment the frontal hairline with no indications of vertex/crown involvement, the physician may analyze the regions next to the universal safe zone, determine that they are unaffected by miniaturization, and use both 'safe' hairs and 'other' hairs during the extraction.

Technically, it's still not as proven and effective as extracting solely in the safe zone because the hairs are not as resistant to DHT and can fall out as the balding progresses. However, it is sometimes seen in larger FUE sessions, but still remains controversial.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Ocean,

No problem! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to clarify, or if you would like some more information on FUE procedures, a solid FUE surgeon, etc.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.