Am I right candidate for HT? Please Help

Hi Folks,

I am 30 years old Indian origin living in MD, USA. Just like any other guy, this gruesome disease of baldness has struck me badly. I am not only loosing my self confidence but also turning in to an introvert, shy, rebel, impulsive, fear of socializing. Unfortunately bald look doesn't go well with my face and I have nothing but HT to consider as an option.

I don't have balding in my family and I use to have good quality hair until I had psoriasis 6 years back. From then I always been loosing hair; now even more due to stress, smoking and sun exposure.

Please kindly take a look at my pictures attached and help me answering my questions below.

1. Am I right candidate for FUE? Or should I consider any other treatments?

2. I have reading about success stories of HT from Dr H & W and their expertise on mega sessions? IS there any HT surgeon who can be rated as good as Dr H & W living in US?

3. What are the chances of retaining hair after HT for a person who had psoriasis in the past?

4. At what level of baldness someone should consider for HT?

I still have good and thick hairs on the side and back which can be considered for donor area. I have been thinking about HT but I am not sure which one suits my case. I have been collecting useful information on this forum; thanks to everyone for sharing information. And thanks for stopping by this thread and your time to respond my queries.

Thanks,

AlmostGoingBald.

5b32ccec814d9_photo(1).jpg.44de1bc98bce124af4de49f8b50986a2.jpg

5b32cceca04e7_photo(2).jpg.498a855fda8ae8bc97f3b7aa321c681d.jpg

5b32ccecb8810_photo(3).jpg.b00d40bdad252748517dcc7a477c9549.jpg

almostgoingbald,

I noticed that you asked if you are a good candidate for FUE but also referenced mega-sessions by Hasson & Wong. Before going on I just want to clarify that you are aware of the differences between FUE and FUT. This is by no means a comprehensive discussion but simply a quick overview.

Hasson & Wong practice follicular unit transplantation (FUT) exclusively. FUT is also known as the "strip" procedure. This technique is typically faster, more affordable and allows for transplanting more than 4,000 grafts in a single session under the right conditions. These are your "mega-sessions".

Follicular unit extraction (FUE) is more time consuming and therefore more costly. Sessions have to be smaller and are normally around 1,000 grafts. Not all hair transplant patients are suitable for FUE. In FUE, follicular unit grafts are harvested individually thus avoiding a linear scar.

Your balding is extensive and diffuse. You are probably a candidate for FUT but not FUE in my opinion.

The following result from H&W displays a patient with a similar balding pattern to yours, Dr. Wong/5129 Grafts/One Session/One Year

If you would like to find an experienced and skilled hair restoration physician in the US, consult our list of prescreened quality hair restoration physicians and schedule a free online consultation.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Almost,

Let me see what I can do to address your questions:

First, and foremost, I highly recommend consulting with a dermatologist. Because your hair loss (as you state) was triggered by a skin disorder, I definitely recommend having a dermatologist take a thorough look at your scalp and see if there is any sort of treatment he/she would recommend besides regular hair restoration therapies.

1. It's difficult to say whether or not you are a good candidate for follicular unit extraction (FUE). This will really depend on the surgeon's preference, and, more importantly, your donor characteristics and expectations from the session. Based on your level of hair loss, I'd personally say that (between follicular unit transplantation and follicular unit extraction) you're a better candidate for FUT.

However, I definitely think there are other proven solutions you can look into before undergoing hair transplant surgery. I'd highly recommend researching and considering both Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). These could really help prevent progressive loss (if the hair loss is caused by genetic baldness and not the initial skin condition) and help you maintain your current level of hair.

2. Drs. Hasson and Wong are excellent hair transplant surgeons, but I do invite you to review all our recommended hair restoration physicians in the US, as they are performing hair transplant surgery at this same level of excellence.

3. In my opinion, this would depend on treating the psoriasis, but, again, I would definitely leave this answer up to the dermatologist during your consultation.

4. It's very subjective, and no two hair loss patients are identical. Individuals chose to have hair restoration surgery to treat various levels of baldness, but I would say that at the level demonstrated in your pictures (assuming that the loss isn't caused by the skin condition and you're a good candidate otherwise), you're level of hair loss is sufficient enough to warrant a transplant surgery.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any addition questions!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I would highly recommend emailing your pictures and information to Dr. Frank Weinstein. He is a great hair loss doctor in the Baltimore area and an expert i in the field. He would be able to provide you with good advice as to what your options are. He is very approachable and makes himself readily available to patients. Both my brother and I went to him and were very happy. Good luck!

(Contact information removed by moderator. See our Terms of Service)

Edited by TakingThePlunge

You would want to see Dr. Lindsey in Mclean, VA. He is an amazing physician both in the hair transplant field and as a plastic surgeon. I would trust him 100 percent. If you don't want the drive even though it's not that far, Dr. Vogel also posts very good results and is also a plastic surgeon.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D