Rock-n-Roll Singer........

Since last January, I've given this board various insights of my life so far, at 42 years young.

It's amazing how time seems to pass, especially for those of us who lost their hair at such an early age. For me, people started making comments about my 'diffuse' thinning around the age of 22. My prime. I could still pull it off in front of most people, though, and still dated some pretty fine women up until I got married...(isn't that what this is all about?)

Everyone boasts I know, but I can tell you I outkicked my coverage with the women many times through high school and college. Not that this should make balding any tougher, but it sure sucked the life out of me and one of the things I was good at; getting girls. At 23 or so, I broke up with a girl I'd dated for a couple years. From there, I went from the college scene, as she was still at Auburn, to the club and full-time work scene very quickly. My thinning hair kept making me more self-conscious by the month. Pretty soon, I was out on the scene wearing baseball hats, you all know the drill.

Another thing that was always important to me is music. In fact, I've mentioned here before that I was the singer for a college party band for three years or so. We even got paid a few times for playing, but it was mostly frat parties and opening up for a band at the local bars (for minimum $), or headlining at bars on Monday nights. Although I could never have made a living at it, I enjoyed it very much and it made me feel pretty cool. And it help me build on something I was pretty good at; getting girls. But, just like a lot of things; one day I decided I didn't feel comfortable getting in front of people to sing anymore. My hair was thinning. I had stopped running, so I felt I had put on a little extra weight. And I didn't feel all that great in a baseball cap.

I took a job the week after college graduation at a manufacturing plant. It was no coincidence that a hard hat was required to be worn at all times. Although I thought at the time this made my hair fall out even more, I sort of felt like myself because now I had a reason to wear a hat.

I got 300 grafts in 1991 at the age of 26 and for a few months, that made me feel a little better. But I then spent the next 16 years trying to hide the plugs. For two weeks in 1998 I wore a Hair club system. The only time I came close to singing was some Karoke on my 30th birthday. I got a pretty good ovation singing For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield, but it was in a dark bar so I wasn't worried too much about being bald. Plus, I was drunk and so was most everyone else.

And then, it seems like I woke up in 2008 and I'm 42, on the back nine. I honestly still feel 21 inside. But I tell you, this balding has really taken about 20 years of prime living out of me. Then I came back to this site in January and consulted with some great clinics. Dr. Cooley has restored my looks back to a normal 42 year old, and I will be forever grateful.

I hate that people are still getting sub-par transplants in 2008, but they are. Hell, even my old clinic in Alabama still does it the same as in 1991. But I'd give anything if the technology had been there back in the early 90's. I've said it often; but if I were a young guy I'd drive a $500 car and spend my money on a brand new hair transplant and really look good. I wish I were the type to just not worry about my thinning, but that's not me. I hate it, but throughout my childhood to adulthood my hair was an important part of me. (I'm trying to deemphasize hair to both my sons....)

Anyway, last Saturday night the wife and I went to our friend's Christmas party. They are old friends from high school and college, with several of my old buddies there. We live about two hours away from where we grew up, so a lot of people I knew were there. My buddy had hired this 3 man band (drums, acoustic/singer, and electric guitar), and after about five beers I played with them. It was more than just singing a song at a party, as I was deeply thinking about my new life with hair as I sung with a band for the first time in 20 years. A little rusty, it was still one of those moments for me. Most people there probably just thought, "hey he must be about drunk for getting up there singing," but it seemed even spiritual to me.

I forgot a couple of the words, or maybe even verses, but I sang Wonderwall by the British band Oasis. We played it sort of acoustic like Ryan Adams does, and like Noel did a couple years back. We also did Flake by Jack Johnson, and though the guitars are very tough on both of those, that band hit it and I think we did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I didn't know all the words to a lot of the other songs they knew, so I had to get coached up on those two that I picked from their list.

I'm not about to start a world tour or anything like that, but I do feel I've gained back some of my youth. It's cool not having to worry that someone's noticing either my bald head or plugs in my hairline and crown.

I think a couple of women were even giving me that look I haven't seen in many years. Except now, they are all 35, instead of 19, and I'm married to someone who would bust my kneecaps if I even think about acting on that.

Sorry for the rant, but it was an experience I wanted to share with someone who can relate. Rock on!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And all the roads we have to walk along are winding

And all the lights that lead us there are blinding

There are many things that I would

Like to say to you

But I don't know how

Because maybe

You're gonna be the one who saves me

And after all

You're my wonderwall

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Greatgreat post, man.....very honest....and I'm very happy for you!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

a very entertaining, but also thoughtful story.

Happy to hear that you have gotten some of your youth back - well deserved if you ask me. No more hiding in the shadows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

• 4 weeks later...