Am I ok???

I am exactly 18 days post op, 1500 grafts strip. I have followed the doctors post op instructions to a T. I had my sutures removed on Thursday and was told I could start rubbing the recipient area to get rid of the crust/scabs. I have been using warm water with conditioner. Since Thursday just a couple scabs had fallen off, though as the days went on they seeem to get looser. Well last night, using the pads of my fingers, i gently rubbed the scabs as i have been doing, and handfuls of scabs/crust came off. Didnt force anything off. Most of the scabs had hairs in them, some did not. Some the scabs were at the bottom of the hairs and some were in the middle. Some had a little piece of something at the end, didnt look like a graft or anything. Is what happened to me last night normal, I am ok? Is it possible to lose a graft at 18 days and if i did would i know it?

Had the same worries myself (currently starting to shed at 29 days post-op), and found an earlier post about shed hairs with a dark bulb at the end which set my mind at rest. Apparently it's completely normal - follicles enter their 'sleeping' phase, and the so-called telogen hairs are shed with a small club of follicles at the end.

Here's the post which helped me:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/139594-why-do-some-shed-hairs-have-kink-black-bulb-bottom.html

Frdtrtnv8,

I'm sure you're fine. You are just experiencing common post-op jitters. It's happened to all of us. Do your best to zone out for the next few months and you'll be a happy man!

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Ya post op jitters is right. I followed my doctors post-op instructions to a T. I just used the pad of my fingers in a slow circular motion to remove the scabs, they came off very easily, didnt force anything off. I have found myself losing sleep lately. O boy did i do this wrong, Did I do this wrong. Its beginning to be an endless parade of worries.

I am now 24 days post op. I have a few lingering scabs. Last night after I got out of the shower, while dabbing my head with the towel, I noticed a small amount of blood. Dabbed it the towel again on my head and nothing. Pretty sure its from the one remaining scab towards the side of my head. If thats not it, I cant feel any pimples anywhere. Could I have lost a graft this late?