To restart propecia or not?

decisions2011

I am new to the forum but have visited over the years to read different threads.

Here is my story...

I am in my mid-30s. In my mid-20s I started taking propecia based on my own observations (real or not) that my hairline was starting to recede. I took propecia reasonably consistently - probably 75% of the time - over a 10 year period. During that time I did not experience any particular problems with side effects and my hairline seemed to to remain fairly stable.

About 9 months ago I stopped taking propecia as I began to worry about possible long-term sexual side-effects of taking this medication. Although, as noted, I had not experienced any particular problems with propecia, I started reading a few stories online and my naturally anxious mind started worrying something bad might happen to me. And I stopped taking the medication.

9 months on and now I am stressing (again) that my hairline is receding. Given that I am prone to anxiety I can't even determine if it is actually receding or I am just panicking that it is. To provide some background, my brother (2 years older) has a noticeably receding hairline, and most of the males on my mother's side have noticeably receding hairlines. My father's side is entirely free of baldness and my father has all his hair. If I had to rate myself I would say I am Norwood 2 and definitely not at the 2A level yet.

Obviously I don't want to take medication if I don't have a hairloss problem. But if I do have a problem, I don't want to be sitting back doing nothing about it. Because I took propecia for so many years, it's difficult to know if it was: (a) preventing hair loss or (b) doing nothing in the case that I don't have a hair loss problem. The only way to find out for sure was to stop taking the medication and seeing what happened.

Recently, I even decided to take a genetic test to determine if I have the baldness gene. I am currently awaiting the result. Has anyone tried this test? HairDX Genetic Test for Hair Loss

Anyway, I would be interested to hear what anyone has to say in relation to my story/experience and any tips/suggestions you may have for me.

If you look like NW2 , obviously you are receding may be at a very slow pace either because of propecia or by nature of your balding. I am not sure if it is possible to determine where your balding level is heading to, I suggest you to consult a doctor. . If you see an increased hair shedding after stopping propecia you better contue it.

I used Propecia for 6 years, my hair loss slowed down for those 6 year but with in 2 year after stopping I lost most of the hair. I had the side effect of decreased ejaculatory volume during the time I used. I was also afraid of the side effects and stopped using it.

But as soon i stopped with in a month or two side effects are gone.

I am not sure if this is the case with every body. But is there any reason to worry about if you have no side effects while using it.

Edited by baldingbro