Researchers Accidently Reverse Baldness, Alopecia in Mice

gmonasco

Good news for bald mice: A five-day treatment can restore a silky black coat of fur. But it will be a while before the hair-raising drug -- accidently discovered by University of California, Los Angeles scientists studying gut function -- is ready to be tested in humans.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/baldness-alopecia-reversed-mice/story?id=12932070

Very interesting (and from my Alma Mater)!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Very interesting! The more avenues to a hair loss cure that are being explored, the better our chances.

Very encouraging!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

So what is the potential for humans? Could the mouse experiment offer a remedy for balding in humans, specifically men?

One expert believes it can, and that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

"In the short term - within a matter of months - we will be able to skin these mice and attach their unbalding pelts to human heads making a mouse skin toupee if you like," says toupee manufacturer and hot-rod enthusiast Wayne Gordon.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10707570

Mouse skin toupee, huh? Definitely not the final direction I feel this research breakthrough will take, but I guess it's a start :D

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.