Post op care after a HT

I've been reading a lot on here lately that it takes grafts around 8-10 days to to settle completely. My question is how are you supposed to sleep during this time? If you roll a lot will it hurt the grafts? Is it safer to sleep in a recliner for 10 days?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

They usually recommend sleeping upright for the first week to ensure that any swelling is reduced. An option is a recliner or if you're in bed then to use a neck pillow (the ones people use in aircrafts).

NHP, I slept almost as normal after my transplant except for using a neck pillow. That is I slept on my side, the graphs being on the top of my head, and am not prone to turning over much during the night - or so I think. As for the time it takes for graphs to become secure I was advised by my doctor that they should be so after 2/3 days. If in any doubt during these early stages I would suggest you liase with your doctor.

Good luck.

Bill

I am having the same trouble being a tosser and turner too - what I've done is sit myself up in bed to sleep using lots of pillows behind my back - much as you do when you have a bad cold, lol. I don't sleep too well like that, but it's done the trick and I've not rolled onto the grafts (which I'm sure I would have done otherwise).

Day 10 is close for me now... Can't wait to start sleeping normally again!

R.

I've read that you should go for the recliner if you can, but if not, sleeping with your head propped up is an option. If you're a wild sleeper, you might want to go for the recliner because it will limit your mobility in your sleep.