Question on plug repair/blood flow to area

I had the old style plugs back in the 90's, had some cover up graphs years after(2 sessions) but the hairline was not natural.

Had a plug reduction in 2007 by a well known doctor. I still have some plugs on each side that are noticable that i would like reduced as well to add some fues.

Here is the issue, all the grafts that were taken from the reduced plugs did not grow in all the area where the plugs were broken down, the general hairline area on the sides. I did notice some grew in the virgin parts of the scalp. Also, when looking at some old pics, i could swear that i lost some of the other single double hair transplants in the area.

So i am wondering if the trauma to the scalp caused the old transplants to fall out as well as the new ones not to grow. Lack of blood flow???

I have maybe 4 plugs to reduce on the left and maybe 5 on the right to reduce still. I am scared to have them reduced while adding new FUEs in the same session. I maybe need 500 new grafts. This reduction will be small compared to the prior, but am scared of wasting the new FUES.

any thoughts would greatly be appreciated

currently on avodart since 2003 that has stabalized hairloos

ljpcarrera,

Prior to surgery, did your doctor discuss the potential for low growth? Have you discussed your results and concerns with him?

Repair cases always carry higher risks than procedures on virgin scalps. As you have already mentioned, one of the complicating factors may be trauma/scarring which leads to lower blood flow.

If you are willing, please tell us who did your repair and share some photos so we can gain a better understanding of your concerns.

All the best,

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Taking the plunge is correct on both accounts. Depending on how big your plugs are...FUEing them out or excising them, or even including them in your new hairline are all options to be discussed. I often favor the latter and just pack hair around the plugs. While not virgin scalp, this technique has been very reliable for me. I'm not a fan of excising a plug, sewing it up, and then grafting above it as I do think the blood supply could be an issue. In those cases, I'd excise on day 1, put those hairs somewhere well away from the site of surgery and then plant around the plug site 3 months or more later with a different surgery.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians