Very positive feedback from a stylist

TakingThePlunge

My discontent with my results thus far have been well documented here. I'm approaching the 35 week mark and still hoping for the best. Yesterday, I went to the local Supercuts to get a trim. This was my first experience at anything other than a barber in years. There were no customers in the place and only one stylist working so I took the opportunity to discuss my procedure with her and any styling concerns openly.

This is a true testament to Dr. Alexander's skills. She could NOT believe I had had a transplant. She was unable to locate my scar without my help and after pointing out the location to her she said she could kind of see something but never would have spotted it. She just kept saying, "your guy is good." She told me about one customer she had who had been mangled and how bad she felt for him. I'm sure she's probably had lots of customers with good results who never told her. She's obviously only "seen" the bad ones but she was impressed. She also thought the hairline was natural and undetectable. I told her I wasn't happy with the density so far and was hoping for more but, it was nice to get such a positive reaction from an impartial observer!

Just wanted to pass along something positive for a change!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

My discontent with my results thus far have been well documented here. I'm approaching the 35 week mark and still hoping for the best. Yesterday, I went to the local Supercuts to get a trim. This was my first experience at anything other than a barber in years. There were no customers in the place and only one stylist working so I took the opportunity to discuss my procedure with her and any styling concerns openly.

This is a true testament to Dr. Alexander's skills. She could NOT believe I had had a transplant. She was unable to locate my scar without my help and after pointing out the location to her she said she could kind of see something but never would have spotted it. She just kept saying, "your guy is good." She told me about one customer she had who had been mangled and how bad she felt for him. I'm sure she's probably had lots of customers with good results who never told her. She's obviously only "seen" the bad ones but she was impressed. She also thought the hairline was natural and undetectable. I told her I wasn't happy with the density so far and was hoping for more but, it was nice to get such a positive reaction from an impartial observer!

Just wanted to pass along something positive for a change!

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad to hear you've gotten some positive reinforcement on your decision. I've been following your blog, and I know the last couple months have been anticlimactic for you. What are your plans if over the next 2-3 months you are still unsatisfied?

Coligion - Thanks! I'm glad to know that my blog is being watched after being a long time observer myself. I think it's important to contribute. I'm just sorry that my result so far has become one of the warnings rather than a fine example. I'm not sure at this point what my next step will be assuming the worst. I've already discussed my results with Dr. A and he mentioned that I may need a touchup but we need to wait and see. I wish I were in a financial position to be considering a second HT but I haven't paid off the first one yet.

HairHope: For the past 6 years or so, when my hair really disappeared up top, I've been going to barbers and getting a tight buzz cut. Usually a 1/2 clip on the sides and a 1 on top. I always felt self-conscious because it always seemed like I was only one in the place out of all the barbers and customers combined that was balding. I was sure that the barbers were secretly snickering at me behind my back. Since my HT, I've been to the barber twice and now to the stylist. All three times, I went in the middle of the day and caught the places empty which made it easier to tell the person cutting my hair all about my procedure. I plan to keep going to the same stylist now. My goal was to become a regular with someone who knows what I've done and what my styling goals are over the long term. I know it's easier said than done, but give it a shot. Take a look at your local salons and buzz by them now and then. If you see a lull in business, jump in and take advantage of it. Best of luck!

Congratulations! That has to feel good. Dr Alexander is a great surgeon, and clearly his skill showed in your transplant. Here's to continued growing (you're at around 8 months now, correct?) and many future hair cuts!!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

TakingThePlunge, what are the hair transplant doctor's repsonsibilities to a patient when the end result is not what was envisioned? Common sense would tell us that they should stand behind their work, but I know that is not always the case. Dr. Alexander comes highly regarded, and I would hope a solution could be determined without financially impacting you the same way the initial transplant did. Can anyone share an experience when your transplant did not come out as discussed and a quality resolution was put into place?

TakingThePlunge, you could consider taking a hair supplement to help speed up your growth. Again, I am not a big advocate of taking drugs for hair growth but I heard taking a supplement like Biotin

may help speed up hair growth. It may be worth a try. Think about it.

TTP, I have followed ur progress with great interest (as a fellow Dr A patient). It is nice to read and see that your scar is so thin. You still have the option of cutting your hair short.

I have read on the forums that hair growth comes in waves. I pray your next growth wave kicks in sometime now.

Take care.

------------------------------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Alexander

Future_HT_Doc - Thanks! Yep, I'm approaching the 9 month mark. More updates to come!

Coligion: Dr. Alexander did say that we would discuss a resolution to the problem if the yield was low but we needed to wait for 12 months. I'm not sure at this point what that would be. While I'm not happy with the density at all so far, I also think that my complaint and, therefore any resolution to it, would differ from someone who was disfigured or ended up looking worse than before the HT. I feel like I went into to this with realistic and reasonable expectations and I just want to get the best result for my money.

hair_care: I should update my blog to reflect this but I have been taking Biotin for about five months now. I take 5000mcg per day along with a multivitamin. I'm not sure if I've seen any improvement but I plan on taking it for one year before deciding. Thanks for the suggestion!

phxind: Thank you! I've viewed your blog several times myself. Just took another look. It seems like you're getting nice, even growth. Best of luck to you!