Sore Red Bumps

if possible could someone offer some advice, i had a hair transplant through Dr Epstein in Miami back in December , since the 2nd week of the transplant i have had 7 + good sized very sore red bumps (not spots), they are sore to the touch and seem to be getting worse ! tried getting some advice from Dr E but proving quite difficult , all my pics are posted and feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards

I looked at your pictures. I had a few bumps similar to this after my transplant. I think I noticed them about a month or two after surgery. I'd still check with your doc but Dr. Gabel told me that the spots I had were like pimples caused by the new hairs trying to grow through the skin.

Frank

3 HT’s with Dr. Steven Gabel

2004- 2,855 grafts

2007- 2,789 grafts

2010- 2,010 grafts

View my hair restoration site

Ingrown hairs are probably the problem. They can take a long time to heal, too. But your best bet is to consult with a doctor, especially if they're the same bumps and are getting worse. If your doctor isn't responding, you could ask your primary care physician to take a look.

Most likely, as the folks above have commented, it is due to either new hairs emerging (can occur from 3 months to 12 months post op, usually last no more than 1 week each), or, ingrown hairs (same time period, but may last much longer/become chronic)

The drainage that I see concerns me, as this may be due to a folliculitis, which is a more generalized infection, and one which, unlike the others, would require a short course of topical or oral antibiotics. (The others respond to a warm compress, for instance.)

Either way, your surgeon should be able to help you with this, either way.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Thank you all so much for your reply's it has been a great help, i will try and track down a trichologist in London and see what they advise, in addition could anyone advise if this type of condition can cause any long term issue's with growth / success of the overall transplant etc ?? i have posted a couple of pictures this time.

I will also thread a post of my experience to date with regards to my HT through Dr Epstein

Thanks you all once again

P1040012.jpg.66c9c3ffc22b0e9eda6c27d40f45a3f4.jpg

3133_thumb.jpg.c50f29c4397fe3734fc6d09e5c4c2856.jpg

3135_thumb.jpg.ef40404b868fd897bb6d76e6c014d440.jpg

P1040013.jpg.6e81be6fd139dd8edae4a762170d55d1.jpg

... in addition could anyone advise if this type of condition can cause any long term issue's with growth / success of the overall transplant etc ??

It's seems from my experience, and from other posts on this site, that this is pretty common. It doesn't seem that it has effected my growth.

Frank

3 HT’s with Dr. Steven Gabel

2004- 2,855 grafts

2007- 2,789 grafts

2010- 2,010 grafts

View my hair restoration site