Finasterde 2x a day?

NEWHAIRPLEASE

I was wondering if anyone thought taking Proscar, half in the moring and half in the evening, might give better results?? The reason I am wondering is beause the half life is so short. So before switching to Avodart which is much more pwerful than even 5mg of finasteride a day, just wondering what yall thought?

I think the half life for proscar is like 8 hrs?? It just seems like you might get better results taking it with Rogaine 2x a day to keep it fresh in your system...maybe Im reaching

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

NewHairPlease,

Instead of answering your question directly, I encourage you to read the Hair Loss Q&A Blog written by Coalition member Dr. Jerry Cooley on "Taking Propecia Every Other Day for Hair Loss". While you've asked about taking it twice a day, this article includes important information about what the "half-life" of Propecia really means. I trust that this will help you make an informed decision on how to take finasteride.

Best wishes,

Bill

NewHairPlease,

Instead of answering your question directly, I encourage you to read the Hair Loss Q&A Blog written by Coalition member Dr. Jerry Cooley on "Taking Propecia Every Other Day for Hair Loss". While you've asked about taking it twice a day, this article includes important information about what the "half-life" of Propecia really means. I trust that this will help you make an informed decision on how to take finasteride.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the link!

I've learned something new. (Even though my doc said once-a-day, it's informative to read about another "specialized" doc's opinion.)

• 3 months later...
NewHairPlease,

Best wishes,

Bill

In another tread you ask if it has any consequenses swithing from a daily dosis to every other day. Did you ever get a answer to that question perhaps from Cooley or Wong ? Did you switch ? If so did you loose any hair ?

1 mg Finasterid M-W-F.

2,500 mcg Biotin.

1 mg 5 % Minoxidil once a day.

Multi-vitamin.

Fish oil.

Head and Shoulders every day.

Nizoral 2 % one time a week.

Emu oil.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/cardel25/blog/403/

See alos drug chart info here which might help:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156293-drug-chart-topic.html

Thx Spex. It surpriced me to see that dutasterid inhibits more DHT than finasterid. Why is it then that people rate finasterid>dutasterid ? Doenst dutasterid regrew hair ? From what i read dudasterid has about the same sidde effects.

1 mg Finasterid M-W-F.

2,500 mcg Biotin.

Multi-vitamin.

Fish oil.

Emu oil.

Thx Spex. It surpriced me to see that dutasterid inhibits more DHT than finasterid. Why is it then that people rate finasterid>dutasterid ? Doenst dutasterid regrew hair ? From what i read dudasterid has about the same sidde effects.

People rate Finasteride better than Dutasteride because of lower costs and lower side effects. Dut is stronger as you can see. It blocks 1.5 times more scalp DHT which usually translates to better results. It's best to start on Finasteride so you can fall back on Dutasteride if you start losing ground or don't get results on Fin.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...
NewHairPlease,

Best wishes,

Bill

I have talked with my sister who is currently taking a Phd in pharmacology. I would like to point out that she doenst know much about MPB and medical produts that relate to that. So her conclusions are drawn on general assumptions. She said that that there is an if to this conclusion that you can take finasterid eod with similar succes as every day. It depends on how long time it takes the body to produce fully functional receptors that produces DHT. The same receptors that the drug is binding to. If it takes a week aswell then taking finasterid more than twice a week will not do you any better. But if it only takes the body a day to produce these cells then taking it eod is not as effective as taking it daily. Take f.eks Antabuse it does "work" for several days but because the body produces new cells that have fully functioning receptors on daily basis you have to take it once a day.

1 mg Finasterid M-W-F.

2,500 mcg Biotin.

Multi-vitamin.

Fish oil.

Emu oil.